dsl server setup: Linux only?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

dsl server setup: Linux only?

Post by Grumbler »

Couple questions:(many have been answered in another topics, not sure, probably need to create a faq from these)

1. does the bzfs only run non-lan in linux?
2. I have a floating IP with my dsl, I would like to use it to test maps in a public forum for short periods of time. will the floating ip be an issue, i think the leases on the address are a few days a piece.

3. the line is 1.5k/128k, i assume this can support 4-6 players. am i correct.

4. with my firewall, do i have to port forward more ports than just the port set in bzfs?

5. if i can get this to run on my XP Pro laptop(600Mhz, 384M), is there a list of cheater ip addresses I can add, and if so, is there a way in XP to ban those(like iptables in linux) or is that command line with bzfs.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

#3- I have 80-125k up on my cable connection, and it seems to run fine with four players (I've never had more than that on it). I would venture to say that you'll be fine with 125k up (as long as you don't try to support a lot of players).

#5- There is a pretty large list of cheaters' IP's. If you would like, I can PM or e-mail these to you. I'm not sure how you can import these (all at once) into bzfs. With BZFS GUI, you can only import one at a time (bummer).. and there are a whole lot of IP's. Maybe someone could suggest a better way to do this?

I'm not sure about the other questions... after all, I'm only a half-wit. Would one of you whole-wits please help Koba out? ;)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1) BZFS works the same on all OSs. if the server is not -public it's lan, if it is -public it's is WAN.

2)If you get one of those dynamic DNS services it should run fine. I have seen a couple people do that. Usualy the IP does not change unless you restart or relog the machine.

3)It realy depends on your route, but the 128k up will hinder it a bit, I would run some tests to see.

4)Generaly you forward 5155 and 5156 UDP and TCP, if you make a custom port you need to forward that.

5) Ban lists are in the commandline/config file.
ImageJeffM
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

#1: I haven't tried it in about a year, but I used to have a linux box running bzfs on a lan, worked fine.

#2: floating IP should be ok, just change the 'publicaddr' param as needed. I thought DSL only changed when you reset the modem?

#3:4 players should be fine, above that, you'll just have to experiment. I've got 256K up, and works fine for 8 players.

#4: You will only have to port forward 2 ports (i forward both UDP and TCP)

#5 I'd like to get a hold of that list myself. I have started compiling my own, but only have 2 confirmed to date. I haven't played with any banlist procedures other than just specifing an IP on the command line.

I'm currently running my measly cable-modem server on an old (350Mhz) WinDoze 98 box. Due to a recent move, I haven't got around to setting everything back up again, but I hope to have a linux box back up and running within a week, and will definately use it to host the server instead - more flexability, more efficient, can ssh from the office and make changes, etc.).

-------------------
Oooops - didn't mean to duplicate Patlabor221's info - got side-tracked here at the office for a bit and posted without seeing it.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Spiff wrote:
#5- There is a pretty large list of cheaters' IP's. If you would like, I can PM or e-mail these to you. I'm not sure how you can import these (all at once) into bzfs. With BZFS GUI, you can only import one at a time (bummer).. and there are a whole lot of IP's. Maybe someone could suggest a better way to do this?
Three questions for you:
1)Can you post this question on sourceforge, I'm intrested about it...but, i dont know very well this config , if you write the IPs numbers in a text file (banned.txt)and copy and paste in your server config (bat file) when you edit the server configuration ...yuo dont need to write every single IP #. Re3member I dont remember very well the server config.
2) If you write all this number and the cheater change IP(normally) who take this IP number cant play anymore.
3) there is a ADMIN forum where you can talk about it or you can send me a PM or IRC.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Spiff: good idea, I'll set BZFSGUI up to import text-file lists for the banlist. I was already thinking about changing it so the banned IP's were in a listbox instead of a textbox and so you could add comments to them (e.g. "Suspected Spoongebob IP range").
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Patlabor221 wrote: 2)If you get one of those dynamic DNS services it should run fine. I have seen a couple people do that. Usualy the IP does not change unless you restart or relog the machine.
OK, that got me motivated enough to Google the dynamic DNS services. I found one for free (dynu.com), and it took all of about 2 minutes to set it up - good stuff. If you have a dynamic IP such as dialup or DSL that changes often, you can d/l their client software which will automatically change the IP for you in their database as needed. Or, if your IP is fairly static, you can just go to their webpage and type it in whenever it changes.

Did I mention that it is FREE ?

My server is (at least for now) known as: bzflag.dynu.com

Thanks , Patlabor221
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no-ip.com is good as well, in fact my rounter will automaticly update my dynamic DNS server when it changes, no client software..

no-ip.com allso allows you to host your own domain for 25$ a year and still use there dynamic services with it, if you don't like there domains. This is how the bakadigital.com domain is hosted.
ImageJeffM
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ahhh.... sounds really[/] excellent, DTR! :D That would make it a whole lot more simple for us BZFS GUI users who want to ban all the losers beforehand. :angel:

Hmm.... SGI.. are you asking if someone else can get the IP of a former cheater (and therefore aquire their ban)?? I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Again.. would a whole-wit answer this please? ;)
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Hmm.... SGI.. are you asking if someone else can get the IP of a former cheater (and therefore aquire their ban)?? I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Again.. would a whole-wit answer this please? ;)
Yes, it's possible, but unlikely. Every ISP has a limited quantity of IP numbers, so they are reassigned to their customers as needed. This happens occasionally with cable-modem, more frequently with DSL, and everytime you connect with dialup. But, the chances of the number being reassigned to another BZ player are pretty remote, IMO.

It could be a problem if you are banning a user with an IP mask (possibly banning everyone serviced by a particular ISP).

There is probably no fool-proof way of maintaining an accurate list of cheat IPs. Personally, I don't ban anyone until I have seen the player using an obvious cheat on two seperate occasions, and verifying that the IP is the same. Then, it's probably best to put a time-limit on that ban.

Just my 2 cents.