NullBZ Is Down Again

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

NullBZ Is Down Again

Post by meeba »

Something very strange is happening with the server that is hosting NullBZ, and as such, the servers are down for an indeterminate (so far as I know) length of time.

I tried SSH'ing in to the server again today, and was greeted with a warning that the RSA key we got was different than usual. Another note in the warning said that a man-in-the-middle attack may be occuring, so rather than logging me in, it simply booted my connection.

I will work with my host to get the two servers up again as soon as possible, but it might be a while.

Sorry about this, guys. :cry:
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

This warning will also happen if the IP changes (but, on a dedicated server?)... or if the RSA key does change... (no idea why that would happen)

Of course, it could be that your server was hacked. ;)

Good luck!

P.S.: If you sure your server wasn't compromised, you can take out the old RSA key (look for the server hostname/IP) in your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file on the client computer.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

It means that you are not connecting to the same server you did last time.
NEVER EVER EVER log onto a server who's key has changed without first varyfying the new key with the system administrator. NEVER EVER.

If you do verify the new key with the system administrator, you will need to purge that key from the SSH cache. It should be a line in the file.

REMEMBER: the system key should be the third thing you get to log in, along with a username, and host (and password).
I will not stress this enough, don't log in with out making sure the key the sys op game you matches the key of where you are logging into! If the operator dosn't give you a key along with your username, ask for it!

(public service announcment paid for by the stupid unix users who have learned their lesson the hard way union)
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Thanks for the advice. I will ask my host about it when he shows up again.