needed: usa players GU server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

i am a big lagger, and i would definitely like a new american server because my usual lag on european servers is 340 (yeah, i'm in australia ok?) and my lag on the american servers is 240.

trouble is, whenever we try to play on the american servers the jitter and packet loss goes up, and usually someone hits about 50 and we have to move to european server, where i get more complaints about lag.

and while i'm here, anyone know any servers that i perhaps dont know about that are more easy on my lag? i dont like lagging so much :(
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

not sure what the process is for approval by GU admins, but first things first. testing!

we should probably test the servers before making it an official one eh?
cbg's is pretty low lag for me but my jit was about 5ms, how about you other players? we need input

one of the "official" usa servers according to the GU league website doesn't even let me play, i get kicked for illegal tank speed when i spawn as does hiya and others. thats a pretty buggy official server on that GU list, laughable...

btw, i've heard from several GU admins saying a server for us is on the way...still waiting on action.

i used to host the infamous Gerbil maps on my servers back in da day, having a good isp is critical. this is why i hoped MOFO league people might be able to host a GU map, that server runs great and handle the load. anyone know the mofo admins? one of them was pretty cool, Landig i think is his name.
CannonBallGuy wrote:I am willing to, if you chaps in the states find the lag on my current public server low enough and if the GU admin team will give me permission to make it official.
oi!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

261 +- 4ms for me on CBG's server. Seeing that I even have 89 +- 1ms on German servers, that seems okay.

Generally speaking, we have not forgot your request of an US-server and are discussing about who can host a good one.
QuantumTim
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumTim »

EbErT wrote: It'd be really cool if there was a reliable one closer to home, that functioned well (unlike shellshock, silvercat, and recently ladse).
I thought ladse was in Germany? :s

Anyway, I've just tested cbg's server (albeit from university where I have a very good connection anyway: around 30 +- 0ms on brad compared to I guess 60 +- 4ms at home (although I'm going from memory)). I got around 150 +- 4ms. I also got 1% loss every now and again, however when I tried on brad's, I also got some loss there, so maybe that's something at my end. Despite the great connection, I have my own fairly old (300mhz) computer as a router between me and the college network, so it could be that that's giving me the packet loss, but also I'm in the bit where they haven't bothered to upgrade the network yet, and it still runs 10mbit half-duplex (rather than 100mbit full) so the switches are probably rather old, so it could be that too. But I digress - I would imagine I'd get a little over 200 +- 5ms from home, which isn't great, but I do know American players who get this consistently.

CBG: Where in America is your server? From the lag, it sounds like it could be more to the west (as I've seen Americans with 150ms as standard). If so, perhaps also having one as far east as possible would be the best for matches with both US and European players, especially if there are more of the former, although it doesn't matter so much if there aren't any Europeans playing.

Tim
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

QuantumTim wrote:CBG: Where in America is your server? From the lag, it sounds like it could be more to the west (as I've seen Americans with 150ms as standard). If so, perhaps also having one as far east as possible would be the best for matches with both US and European players, especially if there are more of the former, although it doesn't matter so much if there aren't any Europeans playing.

Tim
The server is hosted in Columbus, Ohio by XLHost on a 10mbit connection.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

btw, i've heard from several GU admins saying a server for us is on the way...still waiting on action.
give the guy some time to set it up :)
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

no birdman! i want it now! just kidding man. :D

i will just mention that i've gotten feedback also from another league with nice fat pipe, developments are underway. lets hope this works out, it has great potential for a sweet server on our side of the pond.

special "thank you" goes out to the responder and kind offering to help us btw. sweet!

sm
birdie wrote:
give the guy some time to set it up :)
oi!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

sn0w_m0nkey

Heya monkey, Yes, We are getting another US server up, its going to be on the east coast, so hopefully we'll get a good median lag for the euro players also.

Mofo does offer low lag for americans, but we also want relatively low lag for european players also. Saturos quoting 264ms on CBG's server is not an ideal lag to play with. its best to keep it under 200ms.

The speed kick server is silvercats right? I get kicked off of there also. It happens if you try to spawn and move at the same time. basically, you have to keep your mouse still, spawn, and then start driving. But its laughable.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

give the guy some time to set it up

and that guys is?.. :D

i will just mention that i've gotten feedback also from another league with nice fat pipe, developments are underway. lets hope this works out, it has great potential for a sweet server on our side of the pond.
and who is that?

I am also getting impatient on a new server ^__^
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

word.
beanpole wrote:
I am also getting impatient on a new server ^__^
oi!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

ok, not to be annoying or anything....

it works fine for me :D but i have heard others still get kicked.. hm? :shock:
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

for the new american server:

http://www.gamesunited.de/ib/index.php?showtopic=12828

It's written clearly there but I'll write it here again: for the moment its ONLY testing, when we see everything works fine it will be added as official server.

ps: thx Quol
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

thanks for working on this fellas! much appreciated.

and thank you Quol! was good to see you the other day!
birdie wrote:for the new american server:

http://www.gamesunited.de/ib/index.php?showtopic=12828

It's written clearly there but I'll write it here again: for the moment its ONLY testing, when we see everything works fine it will be added as official server.

ps: thx Quol
oi!