Question about smoothwall

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Spanky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Question about smoothwall

Post by Spanky »

I have been just running on a linksys router, and putting the server on the DMZ because, as I see many other comments on here linksys sucks. But i'm now switching to a smoothwall router / firewall, if im reading things right even the machine's you put on the DMZ card still need to have the ports forwarded. So i'm running on port 5159, so I would forward this port on both TCP / UDP ?? I thought I read somewhere that you need to forward a certain span of ports for how many players you have connected?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D
Spanky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spanky »

Bueller....Bueller....anybody.... :|

If nothing else could someone try my server and tell me if they can get on? I can see it on the server list, and I can connect to it but Im on the lan.

Please and Thank you. Spanky
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

Spanky, I get an "error connecting to server"
what version are you running? it looks like your running bzfs 1.7e6? Could you upgrade to g2 maybe to start?

When I ran server's I would forward 5155 & 5156 that worked fine for me, your running on 5159 i think, so maybe forward 5160 also, and finally check that some other service isnt using that port range, other than that I.m out of suggestions.

I belive, but am not sure, that the next release (1.9) will only require one port to forward.
Spanky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spanky »

Thanks for the response bzgirl. At least that gives me somewhere to start. I will try your suggestions.

Thnks, Spanky
Spanky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spanky »

Ok, with help from learner and Fiber on IRC, I figured out that I needed to open other ports. To eliminate confusion I changed the server back to the default port (5155). So on my firewall I had to open 5155, 5156, and then the ports 17200 - 172XX with 172XX being how many players there are. Everything seems to work great now. :D
freebird1963
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by freebird1963 »

did you have to open udp or tcp or both ?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

this post is from over a year ago. I doubt they will answer.

the current version uses both TCP and UDP. It now uses the same port for UDP as it does for TCP. So to run a server you just need the single port open.
ImageJeffM