Launch and cursor issues

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Launch and cursor issues

Post by fox in the fog »

Hello there, hope I got the thread right.
I just did a fresh install of Fedora 34 and BZFlag through Flatpack so everything should be in good working order but I'm facing two issues:
BZFlag starts flickering for few seconds and than freezes, but everything works fine if I launch it through command line instead:

Code: Select all

flatpak run org.bzflag.BZFlag
So that's no big deal.
And secondly the mouse cursor disappears only if in full screen mode, and that's a bit annoying to play for me.
Is there any quick fix for this? Is the rpm package a better idea?
Thank you a lot,
fox
blast
General
General

Re: Launch and cursor issues

Post by blast »

What graphics card or chipset are you using?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

The machine has AMD radeon HD 5550 (Redwood processor) graphic card and AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU. A bit outdated... *sigh* :?
On yet another old Nvidia and Intel machine I don't face any issues, but I don't think it's comparable anyway as it's an older OS and BZFlag was built form source code.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

The Fedora RPM of BZFlag may indeed work better than the Flatpack version. I recommend trying it.

I think it is normal that the cursor is always visible when playing in a window (not fullscreen). I am unsure if we could change that.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

All right, I'm going to try and compile it then.
I didn't know the cursor wasn't supposed to be visible in fullscreen, mine has always been
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It is supposed to always show up. Is it not normal for it to be hidden.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I just used the rpm package and the launch problems seem to be gone, but the cursors is still invisible in full screen mode
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you run Gnome on Xorg instead of Wayland the cursor shows up. Not ideal, but it's at least a workaround for now. From the computer's login screen, click on your user name, and then in the bottom right click on the gear and pick Gnome on Xorg.

I didn't see the launch problem here. I'm not sure which specific Radeon card I have in the system at the moment as Linux just identifies the card series.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Yes thank you, I did realize this yesterday, it's a Wayland related problem...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm tracking the issue on GitHub now.

https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/issues/284

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Just to add on to the idea of running bzflag that is included in the fedora's official repo, that is now a viable choice since fedora 34, as it now uses SDL2 instead of SDL1.

The latter had quite a few issues, most notably with how it didn't accept multiple actions at once at times, resulting in the tank stopping immediately, making it totally useless at game modes such as ducati. With SDL2, that issue is gone now, and running official repo's bzflag is totally fine, thus far.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

blast wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am I'm tracking the issue on GitHub now.

https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/issues/284
Great!
Bertman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bertman »

I installed the repo version on Fedora 34 a couple of weeks ago, and running under Wayland I could not confine the cursor to the mousebox. I was advised to log out and try under Xorg and it seemed to work fine. Maybe something else interesting of note... not sure.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yes, I think XWayland or Wayland doesn't allow us to move the mouse cursor, so I also think that centering the mouse after respawning doesn't work. Going forward, the way to fix that will be to use relative mouse movement and drawing a fake cursor or indicator ourselves.