Silent Bouncing.

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
rodent snuffer
Private
Private

Silent Bouncing.

Post by rodent snuffer »

We now have two players on MW 2.3 performing silent bounces. On MW 2.3, bouncing silently adds a very strong imbalance.

A source level hack involves removing two lines of code and, despite various "reasons" offered by one of the abusers (compatibility issues, special ways the bouncer is used, config file settings -- none, which, upon inspection ring true), I can see no valid way on a remote sound enabled map that a bouncer could ever possibly be silent I've gone as far as to add debug code and did not see a related player status change during these magical jumps.

I enjoy playing on MW 2.3 and hope others do not deploy this "tactic" -- and it will likely spread as this simple hack becomes more known.

Not identifying the culprits in public; is there something to be done? Or should I create my own modifications to kill or announce a tank detected bouncing without the proper status flag being seen?

Best,

Rodent Snuffer
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Silent Bouncing.

Post by tainn »

Do not create your own modifications. Fighting fire with fire is not the way.

If we are talking about allejo's servers and not blast's (bzexcess), you can send me the nicknames of these players via a private message and I'll inspect a little bit. That said, if the case of no sound is perhaps a bug and not a cheat, then gameplay-wise, I agree it is quite major and should be addressed. It is especially bad in combination with the Stealth flag. As such, if any confirmation could be given on the matter from a knowledgeable enough party, it would be appreciated.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I wouldn't recommend modifying the game client. Unless it's simply meant to provide awareness of something suspicious, rather than performing automated actions such as kills, ban or messages in public based on imprecise data. (There has been a few client-side modifications used by a few admins to aide in detecting cheaters, but by no means performing automated actions as previously listed.)

But as mentioned, there is something to be done, but not in the way suggested. If all is as said, then quite likely this can be done in a highly efficient manner by the usage of a plug-in. Especially since this seems to be a mostly location specific areas. (If it's confirmed cheats, then bans can be done.)

If possible, private message me the details on precisely which player status flags did and did not occur, as it would be most helpful in this case to see if plug-in based actions may be possible, if indeed this turns out to be cheat related.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

I didn't understand all (is there, then, or not a real possibility to modify code to make this cheat happen?), but what I can tell is that sometimes the sound system fails: on jumps or on other sound events. As far as I understand, some events are broadcasting on UDP packets then sometimes they are lost and/or the sound system is just not so consistent whitin the client itself, then, happens both not making the sound (for the original player) and not sending the signal by the network (for the rest of players). Obviously, this happens rarely; not always. If happens always or a lot, it is a cheat.