BZFlag Freezing Up

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
PlasticTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag Freezing Up

Post by PlasticTank »

This has been happening to me a lot lately, so I decided to make a post on this.

Sometimes when I open bzflag, it seems to be frozen. I can't move the menu, or do anything. Its just frozen still. Even "esc" doesn't work. I usually have to wait 5 minutes or restart my computer for this to go away. I'm running Mac OS X leopard, with the latest updates installed. I'm not sure what's happening, but I would like to hear other peoples ideas on the matter.

-PlasticTank
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag Freezing Up

Post by Monster »

Had the same issue some time ago and posted it in another thread (can't remember where ;).
At the same time youtube videos stopped loading and downloads stopped downloading from time to time. Therefore i assumed that my inet connection was to blame. It seemed like whenever something freezed or stopped I wans't connected to the internet for a short period of time. I solved the problem by contacting my inetprovider. I'm not sure if that really helped you but that's what happened to me ;)
wfg Monster
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Hmm, I tested it, when I intensionally switch off my WLAN, or deactivate my internet connection while playing Bz, then in both cases Bz doesn't freeze (as I can still use the Bz menu and so on...).
Btw Monster, an english salution "wfg" doesn't exist :wink:
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I'm aware of this [h], it's some kind of joke wich came up from my team messages in the gu league ;)
"wfg" Monster
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

PlasticTank wrote:Sometimes when I open bzflag, it seems to be frozen. I can't move the menu, or do anything. Its just frozen still. Even "esc" doesn't work. I usually have to wait 5 minutes or restart my computer for this to go away. I'm running Mac OS X leopard, with the latest updates installed.
Hard to know what causes your client to freeze but don't push "esc" alone. Try "command + alt + esc".
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

I have stuff like this on mac.

1. It doesn't like you having just switched internet type (eg wireless to ethernet)
2. Youtube quicklist doesn't work while it's open
3. It won't last 20-40 minutes with smoothing on.
4. Randomly does nothing, as you have.