Client death (spawning problem worked around)

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Client death (spawning problem worked around)

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I'm working on a new map, going quickly through the change-run-test cycle. Today I've noticed something really odd: Frequently if I die on the map, I respawn outside of the playable area, and the server kicks me (there are no plugins or anything running). The BZFS console indeed shows my spawn coordinate as outside of the playable area.

(I've added some additional explicit spawn regions, and I do now seem able to spawn. Oddly, the BZFS console has this: "Warning: SpawnPolicy ran out of time, just dropping the sucker in".)

The big problem is this: If I exit the server normally (Leave Game, or Quit from the client) or abnormally, the next time I connect I the client flashes twice and exits. From long ago I remembered a similar problem of the client dying, and sure enough if I clear all the caches I can connect again to the server.

I haven't changed much at all this morning - I can think of no 'smoking gun' that is a suspect. The cache issue makes me think it might be a texture problem, but the spawning death is really weird. (The world is slightly unusual in that it is 500x500, but that's nothing I haven't done before with no problems).

I'll send the map to anyone who wants to try to duplicate the behavior.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Client death (spawning problem worked around)

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I had a similar problem when making my Life on Mars map... I ignored it, and it seemed to clear itself up as I continued to write the map. Not sure what it was exactly that stopped it.

It might have been something to do with the false floor. Initially, the map was covered entirely by false floor, but later I added a section that was directly on the real ground - or it might have been that I added spawn zones.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Cygal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Client death (spawning problem worked around)

Post by Cygal »

It is a known bug, I'll work to fix it soon. If the map is too complicated, the server does not know where to spawn players, and sometimes spawns them out of bound.