Possible Phantom Zone Flag-Take Bug

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Henfre
Private
Private

Possible Phantom Zone Flag-Take Bug

Post by Henfre » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:31 pm

On at least one server it appears that there may be an issue with the Phantom Zone flag. Allow me to demonstrate:

1. You grab the PZ flag from designated area.
2. You become zoned by using a teleporter.
3. You drive back to the designated area.
4. Position yourself in such a way that your tank is placed on another PZ flag and could grab it.
5. Shoot all the shots allowed for the flag so that the server makes your tank drop it.
6. Your tank will pick up the new PZ flag and remain zoned. (Note: it actually becomes un-zoned very briefly)

I would like someone else to confirm this if possible.

I'm not sure if it's really a bug. It could be considered the proper behavior of the flag. It makes for some fun zoned teleporter camping and PZ a much more useful flag in my opinion.

PS: Tested on map "Earthbound."

mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Possible Phantom Zone Flag-Take Bug

Post by mrapple » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:15 am

Henfre wrote:5. Shoot all the shots allowed for the flag so that the server makes your tank drop it.
Just to clarify this only works if the PZ flag has a shot limit on the given server.

blast
General
General

Post by blast » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:39 am

I seem to recall that being a problem. That may have already been fixed in 2.99.x.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Henfre
Private
Private

Post by Henfre » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:57 am

Would taking advantage of this be considered cheating?

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Henfre wrote:Would taking advantage of this be considered cheating?
Some people would consider it cheating and others would not. The mapmaker could stop it from happening by raising the zone containing PZ flags above the ground so a zoned tank couldn't camp on a planted flag.

mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Bullet Catcher wrote:The mapmaker could stop it from happening by raising the zone containing PZ flags above the ground so a zoned tank couldn't camp on a planted flag.
Then the zoned tank could jump up, through the 'raised platform', shoot their last shot and grab another one ;)

I don't think there is a real way to fix this bug without, for example, 2.0.18 ;)