only things I notices on OS X

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
katanna
Private First Class
Private First Class

only things I notices on OS X

Post by katanna »

There are only two weird things in OS X:
Most of the time, even though I have it turned on, I cannot see any bullets on my mini map. Any fixes?
Also, it seams to lag, both slow screen rate, and with the server.
If I can play WarCraft and never have a problem with lag on my cable internet, why do I have lag problems with this simple program?
Thanks!

Matthew
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

Under the Options->GUI Settings menu, there are two parameters that you can configure so that you can see shots better. One is the size of the shot tips (which by default is a small dot) and the other is the length of the shot's tail. Play with those and you should be able to see the shots better.

As for the lag, the main difference is that BZ predates WarCraft by many years and has much old networking baggage. BZ was initially written assuming you'd only be playing on a local network, not over the Internet. Hence, it's not well optimized for Internet gameplay, and it's networking performance is "less than optimal" to say the least.

There is work going on to improve the networking, and feel free to help out if you are a developer.

Cheers!
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

another thing i noticed on Mac OSX version...I downloaded the 1.10.4 version from SF.net website, but it says 1.10.5 ingame????

What's going on? I tried it on a Windows machine and it said 1.10.4.

I also started up my own server for LAN play, and it said: Server version: 1.10.5?

What goes here?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

1.10.5 is a CVS version, so maybe they had a problem on 1.10.4 and upgraded it to the CVS at the time.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: only things I notices on OS X

Post by toaster »

katanna wrote:There are only two weird things in OS X:
Yep:

1. The computer, and
2. The user.

(same as with all O/S's)
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
learner
General
General

version goof

Post by learner »

loser wrote:another thing i noticed on Mac OSX version...I downloaded the 1.10.4 version from SF.net website, but it says 1.10.5 ingame????

What's going on? I tried it on a Windows machine and it said 1.10.4.

I also started up my own server for LAN play, and it said: Server version: 1.10.5?

What goes here?
Well. That's because when I put the Mac OS X build together, I accidentally had the wrong version number set and it was several days before I was made aware of the goof. By then, there was very little incentive to rebuild just for the sake of a minor version number.

Besides the fact that it reports as 1.10.5, the Mac OS X 1.10.4 release is IDENTICAL in every other regard to the other 1.10.4 platform releases. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers!
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

1.10.5 has bug fixes right?
learner
General
General

current 1.10.5

Post by learner »

elmer fudd wrote:1.10.5 has bug fixes right?
If you pull cvs sources from a current snapshot or from the v1_10branch in cvs, then yes -- it will have bug fixes and a few minor enhancements.

The Mac OS X 1.10.4 release that reports as 1.10.5 does NOT, however, have any bug fixes as it is IDENTICAL to 1.10.4.

Cheers!
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

good to know...

also, when I have all the options on (texturing, dithering etc.), the screen or game (not sure which) hangs, and I can't do anything, but I can still move the mouse.