Weird bug - invisible flags?

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
sorceror
Private
Private

Weird bug - invisible flags?

Post by sorceror »

First saw this on 1.10.2, updated to 1.10.4 yesterday and it's still there.

BZflag, at least solo, I can't see the flags. They are there, they show up on the radar, and using the radar I can find them and pick them up, they have the normal effects, but I can't see them on the main view. All other objects (buildings, tanks, clouds, bullets, etc.) show up just fine - but flags just aren't visible. (I don't remember if I've seen a moon for a while, either...)

I haven't tried all possible graphical settings, but I've tried "everything off, low quality", and "everything on, high quality". Still no flags. Now, the part that really freaks me out - it's the same under both Windows XP and Linux! The flags are just invisible. WinXP Pro, Suse 9.0. I don't know the Nvidia driver versions, but can get them if needed.

Dual Athlon MP 2600, 1GB RAM, 64MB GF4 MX video. I don't play a lot of games, but I haven't seen similar symptoms in any other game, Windows or Linux. Searching for this problem hasn't turned up anything. Anyone have a clue what could be happening? Is there some weird option I accidentally set somewhere?
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

try hitting the g or h keys...........you can hide flags on the radar and screen. you probably hit it accidently one day.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

yep

Post by sid6.7 »

its g j or h....
sorceror
Private
Private

Post by sorceror »

Grumbler wrote:try hitting the g or h keys...........you can hide flags on the radar and screen. you probably hit it accidently one day.
That was it. I've got a four year old and a two year old, who like to 'help' me play games. They must've done it, twice apparently. I knew it couldn't be a rendering bug, especially since no one else complained of it.

(Gotta admit, though, I can't see what practical utility it is to hide the flags on the screen...)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

sorceror wrote:(Gotta admit, though, I can't see what practical utility it is to hide the flags on the screen...)
Well, I hide the radar flags when I want to easily locate the team flags in CTF. I typically don't hide the main flags, except when I'm shooting at long ranges with the laser.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

(Gotta admit, though, I can't see what practical utility it is to hide the flags on the screen...)

Sometimes when you are camping with GM in top of a building you have a flag in front of you and you cant see clearly.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I like to turn off visibility of flags when I'm lasering in secretplace and other maps with long shots. You can't always see a long way with them in the way.

Flags off on radar helps identify burrows. There's not much diff between the little flag markers and the burrow marker. (I don't like using a slightly larger "+" for burrows, wish they were at least in color, but then they'd look like team flags.) Maybe if they were small circles instead of tank dots, that would be okay.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."