Each letter of text has different opacity

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Each letter of text has different opacity

Post by Legoguy »

http://turbogfx.homelinux.org/bzfi0000.png

Also, notice the line-thin player dots (the green line in the bottom right corner of the radar is a player) and the shots on the radar won't change size when I change the size in the GUI options. Some flags also only have the horizontal line of the cross on radar.

Almost unplayable. I just got the 3D working on this ATI Radeon IGP 320M card in Linux, so I'm kind of dissapointed... using version 1.10.6.

Doesn't do this with 1.10.4 in Windows (have yet to try 1.10.6 in windows).
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw

Post by Guest »

1.10.4 works nice in windows, i havent found one bug yet! eccept that whenever i comin too a server it says you must identify yourself before ing in or you will be kicked like its a cuss word.... its wierd.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

radeon card bug. had the same thing. though i forget how i fixed it.

*smacks head. Gee that's a bit of useful information isn't?*
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

lildog that is a feature on servers, read the messages they send you on startup.

legoguy sounds like a funky blend mode, make sure you have current ATI drivers, not just the stuff that comes with DRI
ImageJeffM
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

Well, I can try that, but supposedly the ATI drivers don't work for the IGP cards...
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that would be ATI for ya, driver hell.

we have a fireGL and man does that thing suck.
ImageJeffM
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

did you try Mesa?
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

Nope, haven't tried Mesa yet, although I do notice xorg building it - how do I switch to it? However first let me get my X server working first, i recently had some mishap and it's recompiling right now...
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

So I guess this is a "No one knows so no one cares" situation then...
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

no, to me its a no one knows, i'm trying to help-but idont have linux situation
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

legoguy, it's a software problem. if it works on windows, then the code is correct. You need to get some valid drivers for that thing in linux. The high end ATI cards are known for having drivers tuned to specific apps, and lacking in general support.
ImageJeffM
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

Alright, some information: it seems like the text is progressively better as you go across the typeface images. See this example:
http://turbogfx.homelinux.org/imgfiles/bzfi0000.png

The text in the red box is typed according to the layout in the "fixedmr.png" image, line by line. Notice how it makes a gradient. This sells me that the texture offset is a little inaccurate. Because this happens in the Linux ATI IGP320M drivers, it might be a DRI problem, but it might be fixed by BZFlag developers by correcting the texture offset (maybe just tell me how to patch the source myself because we don't want to mess everyone else's text up either).

The missing-lines-on-radar problem was fixed by turning off smoothing.

Right now I'm installing the DRI cvs, which provides the ability to use driconf to configure driver options, kind of like the control panel in Windows. So I'll see if I can get it working that way.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Have you tried turning off shadows?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

Let me try that now...

No change. Right now I'm installing the DRI-CVS.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

to me it looks like inconsitiency in the interpolation on the card. you may want to try difrent modes for texturing. Or see if your card has an "openGL compatabilty" seting or something. Maybe it's kicking into a mode other then normal mip filtering.
ImageJeffM
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

Bringing this back to the top (it was never fixed), it has gotten worse - I think this is DRI related though. I posted a bug at DRI's sf.net bugtracker.