2.4 RC 1 Rabbit Hunt Glitch (new details)

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

2.4 RC 1 Rabbit Hunt Glitch (new details)

Post by Mopar Madness »

Thumper and I did some tests on Foxburrow 2.0 and 2.3 servers. We can confirm the rabbit glitches are not in 2.0, only 2.3.

What happens:
If there is no eligible tank to become rabbit when the previous rabbit becomes ineligible to be rabbit, other tanks have to wait for the previous rabbit to disconnect/respawn/unpause before the new rabbit will become rabbit.

What we believe may be the issue:
The server appears to check who should be rabbit when:
1)Rabbit dies
2)Rabbit becomes able to respawn
3)Rabbit respawns
4)Rabbit pauses
5)Rabbit unpauses
6)Rabbit leaves
7)New tank joins

If the game cannot find a good replacement for the current rabbit at those times, it leaves rabbit on the current rabbit and does not check again till the next one of these 7 events.

The possible fix if this is the case:
Add a couple lines of code saying if no good rabbit can be found on check, then add checks for when these events happen:
1)Hunter Spawns
2)Hunter Unpauses
3)The original 7 times it checks

Thumper was kind enough to get me the full logs of our conversion and test session if you need further details.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: 2.4 RC 1 Rabbit Hunt Glitch (new details)

Post by JeffM »

The current SVN code has some fixes for the rabbit issues and seems to work the same as 2.0.x
ImageJeffM
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

I was still experiencing all the 2.3.17 rabbit glitches mentioned above in 2.3.18.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mopar Madness wrote:I was still experiencing all the 2.3.17 rabbit glitches mentioned above in 2.3.18.
We're going to verify that the problem is completely server-side today. If it is, we'll push forward with the release and we will fix it in 2.4.2.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mopar (or anyone else), if you get a chance today, try my rabbit chase server (bzexcess.com:10007). I added some tweaks to the selection code on the server. It's not perfect (it seems to anoint dead players as the rabbit) but I think it at least solves the issue with the rabbit being paused. It will need the RC3 client that we just posted. If this fix works well enough, we'll just move forward with the 2.4.0 release and we'll fix the rabbits properly in 2.4.2 (since the code that I changed is all server-side).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)