OO Flag ~ Crash

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

OO Flag ~ Crash

Post by Zverina »

Heya there.

It has happened to me a few times that when I got an OO Flag and went through walls, my screen started blackscreeining and going back to normal to show a picture, like playing without a 3D Driver, and then the game crashed.

Happened on 4 different maps, all 4 times.
The result of saying that you can beat me is the same as bragging how Ponies are stupid... You always die in the end.
blast
General
General

Re: OO Flag ~ Crash

Post by blast »

What operating system, video card, and graphics driver version are you using?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

My operating system is Linux, and no, it is not about my parts of computer because my computer is pro.

Me and my dad built it with bough parts, and it is not like it cannot handle it, it is a bug in the game.

I play one other game that takes way more FPS, etc. and it works smoothly, so does this, Everything here, except in one certain moment with OO In the Wall, when it crashes.

Thanks.
The result of saying that you can beat me is the same as bragging how Ponies are stupid... You always die in the end.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

That is usually video driver. The video driver is not part of your "pro" computer as you put it. Not all games call openGL like we do. BZFlag is a VERY old game.

Who makes the video card in this "pro" computer?
ImageJeffM
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

By the way, I do play with my OpenGL open at that other Game.

OpenGL Mode raised my FPS for 20.

Edit: You do not have to be rude, I jut pointed out a bug, which this part of the Forums are for.

Try looking into it and try to fix it in the next version, or just say "No, we will not", that is all I want to hear.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you don't want to provide us with information about your system, we cannot try to duplicate the issue. We need specifics, not generalizations like "my OS is Linux and my computer is pro". Something like "I run Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit with an nVidia 9800GTX+ using the proprietary nVidia driver version 295.40." or similar would be much appreciated.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

Okay, sorry to be a drag, I know you only wanna help.

So, let me answer both questions now.

Video Card - I do not have one, I have that built-in in the processor. Processor is i5. (Video Cards do not exist anymore on newer computers... I think)
Graphic Driver - I have one Linux offers, which is Intel Driver.

I hope that helps you.

Edit: I see you Edited, I run last version of Fedora, 64-bit and have 8 GiB RAM, if you need any more Info, do tell.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If possible, could you provide the output of the following commands?

glxinfo
uname -a
lspci -nnv
lsb_release -a (This may or may not work on Fedora)

You can attach the output here at .txt files. To easily save the output to a text file, you can redirect the output (ex: glxinfo > glxinfo_results.txt).

Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

Yeah, as soon as I get home, am on an Island at the moment. :)

Also, I am sure my dad will know what to do, thank you for assisting me (He does not like me playing games, wants me to do something useful).
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

You are wrong, video cards can and do exist on new computers.

Most new computers have low end video hardware onboard, that is what you are using. It will be ether Intel onboard graphics 3000HD or 4000HD. Both are very low end.

Most gaming systems will use a dedicated video card by nvidia or ATI. If the computer was not made for playing games then this is probably why this part was excluded.

The intel graphics drivers are very poorly supported on Linux and have a great many bugs, specially with the openGL calls we use. Note that there are many functions in open GL and not all games call them all. So one game that works with openGL does not mean all games will work in the same driver.

If turning on openGL only gave you 20 more fps then you do not have a very good system for games. On a dedicated hardware system you should see an increase in FPS by many orders of magnitude, i.e. 100's of FPS not just a few more. Most people get between 200 and 300 fps on modern gaming systems in bzflag.
ImageJeffM
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

"You are wrong, video cards can and do exist on new computers."

No, i am not, i did think so, and i thought wrong.
Carefully read how I ended the sentence.

Also, I had discussion with blast, and we were focusing on my issue, for which this Topic/Thread was made, and in my case, it is already built-in the processor.
So, why do you have to bump in right now posting and raging over "You are wrong."?

I want to continue with the discussion on this Topic if i will need any further assistance, for what new computers do or do not have, I can always check at reliable source.
Please, keep to my issue or do not post.
If you want to talk about it, let us start a new Topic with that opened up for discussion, but I personally really do not feel like doing that.

Thank-you.

Edit: "If the computer was not made for playing games then this is probably why this part was excluded." - You did hit the spot there.

"The intel graphics drivers are very poorly supported on Linux and have a great many bugs, specially with the openGL calls we use." - This is the part I 100% disagree with, but i do not want to go into that.

blast, know what, i will do something, I will open up (do not know how it is called, my dad knows) a program that will show me everything that is happening on the computer at that moment.
Then, I will re-create this issue.
I will see what problem will pop-up.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you could get me the information I requested as well, that'd be great. I do have access to a system with Intel graphics, though it's an older chipset from before the new Core architecture. However, it might be possible for me to duplicate the issue there and track down exactly what is causing the crash.

Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

blast,

I will give you as soon as I get home, OK? :)

That will be in 4 nights.

Thanks.

PS - You are big help to me, I owe you one if this works out. :)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yup, no rush. I just didn't want you to provide only the info from that other tool your dad knows about instead.

Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

Hehe, the thing is that my dad does not even want to hear for computers right now, he is a programmer and he says: "I am on vacation, no computers!"

However, he would understand everything you would say to him, I am more of a noob and this looks like a Tech Daycare, sorry if i learn slow.