Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Crash

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Crash

Post by cidentan50 »

Hey Constitution. I see that we're both online here right now and I had an idea. If you want, I can let you connect to my computer's screen via TeamViewer so that you can see happen in real time. If another time would work better, let me know and we can schedule it. Send me a PM.
Daemon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Daemon »

OK, your latest build appears to work OK. At least it did not crash. Of course, the display brightness setting does not work (I suppose that it depends on the gamma stuff you removed). But it is a minor loss; now BZflag is playable on Mavericks... for now. ;)

Thank you very much!
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

I chatted with Constitution on IRC a bit, and he wanted to know about what hardware I had. GPU in particular. Maybe if we post about our hardware we can find a common pattern.

Number of GPUs: 1
Brand: Nvidia
Model: 9400M
VRAM: 256 MB (integrated)

Other specs: 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, 15" mid-2009 MacBook Pro, 8 GB of RAM, 10.9.1 Mavericks

-------------------------

When I was in the #BZFlag IRC channel, they were talking about trying a switch from SDL 1 to SDL 2 as an experimental branch. The idea is that Constitution would try that focusing on the Mac version first, see if it fixed problems, and if so do that for other platforms as well. They felt that this would probably be much less work than switching from SDL to to something native to the Mac, due to clearly documented conversion steps that are available to developers using SDL.

I also chatted with Constitution individually, offering to let him remotely connect to my computer's screen when he wants to test SDL2 builds in real time.

Again, if you've been having problems with BZFlag in Mavericks, please post your hardware specs as I did above. Especially GPU. Apple menu -> About this Mac -> More Info
Daemon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Daemon »

My hardware configuration can be examined at the end of the crash logs. Anyway, I am copying it here:

Model: iMac13,1, BootROM IM131.010A.B05, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 3.1 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.9f5
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, PCIe, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54333531533643465238432D50422020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54333531533643465238432D50422020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xF4), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.22)
Bluetooth: Version 4.2.0f6 12982, 3 services, 23 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662, 1 TB
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM128E, 121,33 GB
USB Device: Hub
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Thunderbolt Bus: iMac, Apple Inc., 23.4
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Could you guys try this preliminary SDL 2 build to see if it crashes like the official binary does? This is still buggy and unsuitable for normal playing, but it would be good to know ahead of time if the transition to SDL 2 doesn't help the issue.

http://download.bzflag.org/2.4.3/mac/BZ ... 4-SDL2.zip
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

I launched it and it did not crash on launch like the official binary does. I then told it to quit and OS X didn't give me any "BZFlag unexpectedly quit" error. I then I relaunched and did the same thing, and again there were no crashes. No crashes at all, but I didn't do anything with this build other than launch it and quit it twice. I didn't try to adjust the gamma, join a game, or anything else. Just launch and quit, and no problems. If you want us to test anything else with that build, let us know.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd say it would be worth trying to adjust the gamma with this new version. I'm not sure if Constitution left it enabled or not, but if it's enabled in the code, it would be nice to know that the transition to SDL2 fixed that or not.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Daemon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Daemon »

The SDL2 build does not crash at startup or quit.

First time I launched it, the image colors were garbled. (I made a snapshot but the PNG captured shows an image with no colors distorted.) Then I deleted Library->Application Support->BZFlag, and after relaunching everything looked fine.

I connected to a server with no players (the "I" ket did not work; I had to use the mouse right button) with no graphics problems. But then I tried to change the display brightness setting, and the colors got garbled again. No crashes, however.

It seems that, using SDL2, fiddling with gamma settings does not cause a crash, but it does not work correctly.
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

I get weird colors too, but only very briefly. Colors are weird for a split second and then go back to normal. That happens on launch and for each notch wen I change the brightness in display settings.

When I adjust the brightness by using + or - while connected to a server (daytime light vs night time), colors remain normal the entire time. As Daemon said, the "i" key doesn't work.
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Mac OSX Mavericks

Post by ZE BOZZ »

jhs wrote:Removing the config file did the trick; Constitution and blast, thanks for the help!
Thanks! Worked for me as well :)
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

My crash went like this. I shut down my MAC every day, and about once a week BZFlag would crash on start, with the Apple crash report.
If I then chose restart from the apple menu, BZFlag would still crash on start, But if I did a hard shutdown and started up again by pushing the power button, that would fix the problem until at least the next restart. So I had a workaround that did not require a download.

First I tried constitution's "nogamma2" build, and got the weird colors. I would see normal colors for a split second right after selecting "quit"
This build seems to work just fine for me. http://download.bzflag.org/2.4.3/mac/BZ ... 4-SDL2.zip

In other news... I booted from the preview version of OSX 10.10 Yosemite, and this SDL2 build seems to work fine there too.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
usernox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by usernox »

I have a macbook pro11,2 (mid 2014) with the iris pro graphics card. The SDL2 build worked fine after I deleted my old Library/Application Support/BZFlag folder, but only for the first run. In other cases I get the garbled colors. I have an external monitor attached; without it, it seemed fine. With the nogamma build at the bottom of the first page of this thread, I have no problems.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I recently received a complaint that the 2.4.3 development build cause some network jitter upon mouse movement. I know there were some issues with the version of SDL it included, so for anyone who is interested in a clean 2.4.2 mac build, with the gamma stuff that causes crashes removed, here is a new build with just that. Again, this is for mac users using a graphics card that causes BZFlag to crash under Yosemite or Mavericks.

http://download.bzflag.org/2.4.2/mac/BZ ... ogamma.zip
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

Can these edits be checked out from SVN?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Try this build as well which I believe uses SDL2 and see if there are issues with normal use and see if changing the brightness works.

http://download.bzflag.org/2.4.3/mac/BZ ... 150520.zip

The changes to this client should be in the BZFlag github repository at https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

This worked for me; I was able to change brightness, though I only played for a few minutes. I did play for quite a while earlier using Constitution's 2.4.2 build.

I presume 2.4.3 source has other changes in it; is is possible to get the source Constitution used, with only the gamma fix?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This isn't the gamma fix, and I don't know if that code was ever posted anywhere. Plus, the "other changes" in 2.4.3 are good to have as they prevent some crashes. Not sure why you wouldn't want to use that new build over 2.4.2.