Time of Day

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
lkjhg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Time of Day

Post by lkjhg »

Hi all.
Source: https://wiki.bzflag.org/Optimizations
Citation: >> For instances of maps that are run at "night" it is possible to change the local time of day so that it is easier for a user to see opposing
>> tanks. the - and = keys by default allow a user to change the local time of day. This change does not affect the server.
>>Some servers can enable options that override this ability and force a client to use the server's time of day.
Question: Why it does not work for me? Versions: OS Linux, Bzflag 2.4.2.
I tried on different servers, including my local. Does not work everywhere :(
Thx
My final goal: I need to set the night permanently (or at least temporarily). It's easier for me to navigate.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Time of Day

Post by trpted »

It worked for me on my local server on the same version that you are on, as long as I did not disable tell the server to disable that feature (if you want to call it that).

In my case I had to press and hold one of those two buttons until the screen either went darker or brighter. Then it cycles meaning if I keep on pressing it, it goes back to what it was before I held one those two buttons.

If it is not working for you, at least which distro you are talking about.

For example I use it on my Lubuntu 16.04.2 LTS computer.

For your final goal, I have no idea at this time.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It works for me, but I have to use the keys to precisely adjust it.

Perhaps a quick key or a configuration file option could set the time.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
lkjhg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lkjhg »

trpted, i have Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS. After your answer (about distro) i tried on another version of the distribution (Archlinux) and the game (last version 2.4.10) and it worked on the default config file. When I replaced the config file with my config file - it stopped working. So I determined that it depends on my settings. I changed one by one settings and determined that this does not work when configured:
Options - Display Setting - Shadows - OFF.
We can consider the topic solved, although I would like to find a setting that makes the night constantly.
Thank you all, trpted, Zehra.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

#1 Interesting.

I have also Options - Display Setting - Shadows - OFF and it worked as I said it worked.

#2 As far as a config file option, in the client side file I found this line.

Code: Select all

#set timedate 0
At this time I am not sure of how that works other than to remove the pound sign and save the file.
lkjhg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lkjhg »

#1 Hmm, maybe it depends on the type of video card... I have
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 7310]
#2 No, this options is not for my task:
Options - GUI Settings - Time / Date Display - time
#set timedate 0 or
set timedate 0 (default value 0)
Options - GUI Settings - Time / Date Display - date
set timedate 1
Options - GUI Settings - Time / Date Display - both
set timedate 2
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

#2 That was just an educated guess and that is not it.

#1 This is what I believe I have as far as Video card, from Start (or like Start) System Tools -> System information and benchmark tool (HardInfo 0.5.1), OpenGL Renderer = Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

There is some /localset commands which exist and could probably set the time with a single key press.

I'd just need to find a list of localset commands.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

I understand the time of the day and the location are somewhat buggy (they fail sometimes). What I got to work, mostly, is running my clients with '-latitude' and '-longitude' (though longitude is inverted about sign). I see there is an option '-time hh:mm:ss' which would make it fixed as you want, though I didn't try it. All depends, also, if the server uses or not '-synclocation' and '-synctime'. These are located into the documentation (manual pages).