Won't open

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Won't open

Post by alexdotz »

I decided this evening that I wanted to see if I could still play BZFlag, since I loved the game as a kid, and when I downloaded and started the latest version all that happens is this ( https://youtu.be/g2KogaiYI0Y ). I have no idea whats wrong, but if left, it just does this forever. any help would be appreciated greatly.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Won't open

Post by trpted »

For those that can not see the video (not blind/visually impaired - capped or access blocked).

Goes back and forth from their OS desktop to completely black & blank. As well as Goes back and forth from full screen to more like Windowed mode.

The user appears to have a Mac/Apple, MacBook Pro.

And sometimes their OS desktop goes to a red background - more red background then the mountains that is/are seen in the background.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

What version of macOS and what version of BZFlag are you using?
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

I'm running the newest version, Sierra 10.12.5 and bzflag 2.4.10
on a brand new late 2016 MacBook Pro
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Is that a retina macbook running at a resolution lower than the native resolution?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

No it's should be running all native.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

There is a known issue with Apple retina laptops running at a "scaled" resolution. Try to set the scaling to native in your system settings under displays, then start the client and manually set the desired resolution under BZFlag's display options. It should work after that, and you can return your system display scaling back to your desired settings. Alternatively, if you start the client in windowed mode (change directory to the .app package, then "./Contents/MacOS/BZFlag -window 1024x768", for example), you should be able to set your desired display resolution in the client and it should work after that.

I don't have a retina mac, so I'm trying to fix this but it's difficult to work on it. If someone wants to buy me one, I'll fix it for sure. :P
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

I tried to change the resolution and changed it back to the default and I am still having the same problem. I can't start the client in any way without it just taking over the computer and flashing the screen like in the video until I force quit the app.
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

I guess it is actually running at 1680x1050, which is the default, when the display is 2880x1800, but that isn't an option to actually use the full resolution
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Yes, the issue is that SDL 2 reports a resolution (your scaled desktop resolution, 1680x1050) which is not a resolution your display can actually be put into. There should be plenty of other resolutions available, including your native screen resolution, if you can get the application to load. Try starting the application from the console in windowed mode like I suggested. You could also try editing your configuration file (~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/2.4/config.cfg) and adding a line with something like

Code: Select all

set resolution "2880x1800    "
That should allow your client to start. Again, I am trying to come up with a permanent fix for this.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

alexdotz, please give this build a try and tell me if the issue has been resolved. If you previously used the workaround I suggested, please try moving your configuration file to a temporary location first to reproduce a first launch.

https://download.bzflag.org/bzflag/osx/ ... -macOS.zip

Thanks.
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

my computer is acting kinda funny after opening and closing it but it does now open!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

When you say "acting kinda funny", what kinds of things are you seeing?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

when closing the game all the things on my desktop disappear and other windows go black until I log out and log back in.
alexdotz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alexdotz »

on a completely unrelated note, I am color blind and want to change the colors to not have red and green but rather red and blue, and i have read every forum post I could find on it but I can't make it work. the config file keeps resetting after I save and start the game. but I would highly highly recommend a colorblind mode as an addition in the near future, because the game is unplayable for me right now being colorblind, and its one of my favorite games ever made.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

alexdotz wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 am on a completely unrelated note, I am color blind and want to change the colors to not have red and green but rather red and blue, and i have read every forum post I could find on it but I can't make it work. the config file keeps resetting after I save and start the game. but I would highly highly recommend a colorblind mode as an addition in the near future, because the game is unplayable for me right now being colorblind, and its one of my favorite games ever made.
Are the tank skins affected too? i.e. do red tanks and green tanks look identical in the HUD?

I've created and issue here for this, https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/issues/82