Solo bot kick leads to client disconnect

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Solo bot kick leads to client disconnect

Post by Zehra »

Provided the following steps are done, the client disconnects.
  1. Start a localhost server instance.
  2. BZFlag client is started with the "solo" bots option.
  3. A "solo" bot is kicked.(And the client disconnects.)
This does not matter if the bot is kicked by solo/ID or by name.
In all cases, the client disconnects sometime afterward.(Usually within a few seconds or so, if not instantly.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Solo bot kick leads to client disconnect

Post by alfa1 »

From my experience, both using solo bots and asking admins about them (I have not checked the code), and as far as I know/understand/remember (you will have to check this in any case):

- solo bots are not complete users; they are "half user", let's say (in example, they don't have complete lagstats results);
- they are tied to the user who call them; if you kick that user, they are also kicked (and viceverse);
- kick and ban commands run based on IPs; if you run them on an IP (even if you do it by temporal login ID (those temporal numbers seen by an admin in the server) or nick; it is still IP-based); in consecuence, all users on that IP are kicked/banned too;

Advice: instead of running a player to call solo bots, you can run an observer, then you can logout (not kicking/banning) it when you need it (and solo bots will also logout).
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Kick is socket based not ip based. Same result for client side bots when anything on the socket is kicked, but kick won’t disconnect other players on the same ip using a NAT.
ImageJeffM
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Thanks for the shared insights.

It appears solo bots will still come in useful to some extent, but at a much more limited capacity than previously thought of.
Some minor script work on my end, but it's better than projects running into difficulties.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread