Sound problem after updating display driver

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sound problem after updating display driver

Post by Waistless » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:14 am

Hi,

I've recently updated my ATI Radeon 9800 display driver to version 6.14.10.6517 to fix a crashing problem in another game.

Now when i play bzflag the sound is stuttering and cuts in and out constantly, and it's only for this game.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling bzflag and i've also tried setting the sound hardware acceleration to emulation only but it hasn't worked.
And i don't want to roll back the display driver so i can play my other game.

Is there anyway i can fix this without rolling back the display driver?

Note: This is different to another topic because this happend AFTER i updated and not before(i was still using 2.0.2)

KyleH
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth, minor Orion Spiral arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by KyleH » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Can you step back to the 2.0 bzflag and see if the problem remains?

Also, if on Linux have you tried alsa and oss drivers for sound?

Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Nope, hasn't worked
ah well i'll just have to wait and see if a new bzflag version is released and that fixes it.

Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:32 am

Probably a silly question, have you recompiled for the new gfx driver headers?

As a dirty workaround, use the old drivers on a different kernel version just to get bzflag back, without killing the new ones.

stever
Private
Private

Post by stever » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:15 am

Don't know if you've solved this, but the following worked for me -- I had the same problem with V 2.0.2, Radeon 9700:
  • In KDE Control Center, Sound System, Hardware tab, set "Select the audio device" to Autodetect
  • In BZFlag, set the audio driver to "esd".
This didn't work consistently, but when it didn't, restarting the KDE sound server seemed to solve the problem. Hopefully this will work for others.

Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:44 am

No i haven't fixed the problem yet, what do you mean by "KDE" Control center? Where do you access it?

I'm on Windows XP by the way so maybe it doesn't have that.

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Waistless wrote:No i haven't fixed the problem yet, what do you mean by "KDE" Control center? Where do you access it?

I'm on Windows XP by the way so maybe it doesn't have that.
KDE is the name of a Linux desktop enviroment. On Windows you don't have that. In fact, on windows you can't set the audio driver in BZFlag.

stever
Private
Private

Post by stever » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Sorry, I assumed from previous posts that you were on Linux. Maybe installing Linux would solve your problem! :D

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:59 pm

just make sure you have the current version of directX get 9.0c, it's what your driver is expecting.

you may also wish to see if there are updated drivers for your sound card ( or motherboard chipset if the card is onboard ). Often updating one driver, can update a shared component that something else uses, so they have to be updated as well.

they all just thought you were running linux, because sound support on linux sucks and this kind of problem happens all the time ;) ( /me ducks ).
ImageJeffM

Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:33 am

Ah yes i got it working, i just rolled back the sound driver after noticing it was a similar version to the display driver, thank you jeff for the similar idea :)

Man i forgot how good the sounds were :D :D :D
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown