Geno when paused

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
yelo
Private
Private

Geno when paused

Post by yelo »

Please forgive the fact that I'm rather n00bish at the game, and so the words I choose may not be the "official" ones.

BZflag version string:
bash-2.05b$ bzflag -v
BZFlag client 2.0.2.20050321-STABLE-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0026) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993 - 2005 Tim Riker

I was playing bzflag, and paused so I could hit F4 and head over to the wiki to see what key I accidentally hit to get the chat/server/messages window to disappear (btw, I'd appreciate help with that one).

When I gave up on that, I went back to the game. however, right before I was about to unpause, my teammate got hit by someone with a geno. All fine and dandy, I was going to unpause anyway.

So, I respawned, and I did so right behind a burrowed tank. So, I went to squish it. When I did, it said something to the effect of:

AutoKick: It looks like you tried to grab a flag while paused.

Seems like a bug to me!

Anybody else able to duplicate this? It seems likely/possible that the paused state is not reset when a teammate gets hit with a geno.

Post by Guest »

I will speak to the devs on irc about the bug.

To sort outyour other problem, Run BZFlag, then Options>InputSettings>ChangeKeyMapping> Toggle Console.

-CBG
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

This bug (can also be triggered by other things as flag capture) should have been fixed 3 months ago. Maybe the server was still running 2.0?

Post by Guest »

Everything worked as usual when we just tested, right?
So, it must be the server version...?
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

press "Q" that works... you flag goes a way when you pause
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

well, thats not a bug, if a flag is respawned by you when you pause and you grab it when you unpause even by accident it kicks you becuase people have been known to cheat by pausing and then making a flag come to them.
yelo
Private
Private

Post by yelo »

Wow, many replys...

It looks as if the map I was playing on is now deserted (and, therefore, too far down the list for me to find in any reasonable amout of time). But, when I do find it, I'll report back with Hostname/port/version/etc.

Perhaps I should state what I did again, as I never did unpause myself.

1) I paused. This was for at least a minute.
2) A teammate got hit with geno
3) It brought up the usual right-click to respawn thing
4) I respawned directly behind a tank with burrow.
5) I squished him. It is possible I grabbed a flag accidentially in the process.
6) Directly after this, It complained about me grabbing a flag while paused. I was not paused. However, I never hit the "p" to unpause myself, either. Whatever the reason, the error message was at least vague.

Does anybody have a link to a page with the bug report on it? The only bug I could find with "pause" as a keyword was "[ 887956 ] paused players should drop team flags". Anybody have a link to the proper bug?

Oh, and thanks for the replys about the message window. I got that all cleared up :)

EDIT:

Found the server I was using:

0.bladica.com:5156
BZFlag version 2.0.0.20050128
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Legolas_ wrote:well, thats not a bug, if a flag is respawned by you when you pause and you grab it when you unpause even by accident it kicks you becuase people have been known to cheat by pausing and then making a flag come to them.
There's an anti-cheat fix for that already. Manu wrote it about a year ago. You can't pick up a flag at a distance anymore.
Doppelgamer
Private First Class
Private First Class

hmm...

Post by Doppelgamer »

I've had trouble with being killed while paused because the team flag was captured, like geno. not quite the same circumstances (i didn't take a flag or anything), but shouldn't the events of the game not effect you when paused?