texture-related problem that crashes client

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

texture-related problem that crashes client

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I now have two servers running, the most recent of which is at PurplePanzer.no-ip.info:4602, "Minas Tirith" 2nd version. It uses a lot of stone textures which are at images.bzflag/org/purplepanzer.

It seems to work (though on some machines it may be that some of the textures don't always appear), but I've noticed one really odd thing. If I join and play, then exit the client, then come back later and try to go to the same site, the client crashes (version 2.0.6, both client and server). If I go into 'Options', 'Caching', and clear the local cache, then it works again. There don't seem to be any server problems associated with this.

It looks like there is some bug when handling cached textures that causes the client to crash. I haven't tried other client versions, not having any installed right now.

If this is happening to other people who try to come back to the server, I have no way of telling them what the fix is (that is, the workaround of clearing the cache), which is frustrating.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

I joined twice and got the same image errors both times:
cannot load texture: /Users/grondin/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/cache/http/images.bzflag.org/purplepanzer/imperialgreen.png
cannot load texture: whitemarble.png
It didn't crash the second time joining - but wouldn't load those images either. Looking at the path of the first error, I wonder if you don't have a path problem on that one.

BZF client 2.0.8 on OSX 10.4.6
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

path

I think that first path is correct, and specifies where the cached image is; the raw spec in the file is http://images.bzflag.org/purplepanzer/imperialgreen.png
and I think the stuff before that in the path, and the dropping of some of the characters (//, :) are what is expected for cached storage.

I'll take a look at those two files in particular, though, and see if there is anything unusual about them.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

our PNG reader dosnt' like some pngs.
ImageJeffM
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

PNG reader

But the textures work just fine if I put them in the local "data" directory - indeed that's how I develop. When I'm done, I change the texture line to point to the directory on images.bzflag.org, rather than to grab the local texture.

So if it were a reader problem, I should already have seen it when the .png's were local; it seems to be tied to the net path, download, or caching.