newer versions hangs machine

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
badbass
Private
Private

newer versions hangs machine

Post by badbass »

i'm running OS-X 10.4.6 and BZFlag version 2.4/2.5 worked fine for me, but when i tried 2.6 and 2.8, the game would sometime freeze/hang my machine, requiring a hard reboot. since it wasn't a crash, there was nothing to see in the logs to indicate the problem. and i've confirmed it's not a hardware problem. anybody else experience this?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Yeah, I'm having hard crashes too. OS X 10.4.6, BZFlag 2.0.9 (same as 2.0.8, I think). iMac 400MHz w/8MB VRAM. Doesn't seem to be predictable, but when it happens, the entire machine locks up and requires a hard reboot. I'm not sure whether or not it happened in 2.0.4/2.0.5.
cyberacid07
Private
Private

crash

Post by cyberacid07 »

yea i get the game to frezze then when it comes out it turns my screen all white.
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

your processors are extremely slow, maybe try quittting everythings else when you play bzflag, this should minimize the problem
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Interesting, on my ibook G3 800 it freezes the entire system, too and needs a reboot. It happens for me with versions later than 2.0.2 and seems to be a bug with the graphics driver (ATI Radeon 7500).
Da Best wrote:your processors are extremely slow, maybe try quittting everythings else when you play bzflag, this should minimize the problem
Please don't comment on things you don't have the slightest clue about. This would not make it suddently freezing, as the total load is unlikely to change during gameplay from other apps. It the worst case it would cause it to be a bit slower for some seconds, not a complete lockup.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

It could. If you were running several applications then it would freeze up because it can't process them :|
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

rofl........

Mac doesn't crash if BZFlag doesn't shows you "Connection lost TFC or TCF something lost" -somethinkg like that.

Oh guys oh guys and one problem is ofcourse yours mac will crash if on yours computer will be running many programs at one time on this computers.
Guys dont download from every where any games. here

it will automatically download BZflag when you connect to that website.

Always when you download something please, use heanet mirror it is the best one. :)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Da Best wrote:It could. If you were running several applications then it would freeze up because it can't process them :|
Freeze up does not describe it. Jumpy (meaning lower FPS) and jittery does. This doesn't mean BZFlag crashed, it just means it's running slower. Please learn about something before you post about it thinking you have the end-all answer.
Fills wrote:rofl........

Mac doesn't crash if BZFlag doesn't shows you "Connection lost TFC or TCF something lost" -somethinkg like that.
Um... no, apparently you do not understand how applications work. Applications can crash for a variety of reasons, one thing will not always do it. And, yes, applications on Mac OS X can crash. But crashing Mac OS X itself is pretty hard to do (you would need a kernel panic or something to hog so much resources you can't forcefully quit it).
Fills wrote:Oh guys oh guys and one problem is ofcourse yours mac will crash if on yours computer will be running many programs at one time on this computers.
... no, it will run slower... :roll:
Fills wrote:Guys dont download from every where any games. here

it will automatically download BZflag when you connect to that website.

Always when you download something please, use heanet mirror it is the best one. :)
Considering that it's happening to multiple people, I really doubt they have a bugged (ex, a hacked/modded one) version (and who would download from another source? really.). The mirror doesn't make a difference, except some are faster for certain people depending on geographic location and their ISP.

I think you should make sure you know what you're talking before jumping to conclusions like Da Best. :)

Now on to the topic:

I have heard reports that the experimental game mode on some Macs will crash it and this is directly related to how the experimental SW is drawed. Are you guys currently using experimental mode? What about other settings?

I have Mac OS X 10.4.8 on my iMac G5 2GHz and sometimes BZFlag crashes. I run experimental mode as well (funnily enough, it happens when a SW is fired..., but not on every SW). The nice thing is you don't have to hard restart your Mac. Just do Opt-Apple-Esp and a combination of F12 a few times and wait a few seconds. This seems to do the trick at getting BZFlag to forcefully quit.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com