HeadAche

General talk about the map making process.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

HeadAche

Post by Grumbler »

HeadAche v1.0 - simple map, similar to decks in a way. A small map, but it will still work the graphics engines.

Could be modified into a four/two team ctf very easily.
Attachments
HeadAche.map
HeadAche v1.0
(13.82 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's a pretty groovy map, Koba. ;) Was it in the map contest or something? Arg.. I forgot all about that contest until it was too late.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

nah, i leave the map contests to others. I just need to do something creative for a bit. It also helps that I was getting real bored of playing the madcity variants.

I also put a couple "map standards" I have been trying to learn.

1. keep the number of jumps to the highest point on the field down. climbing expeditions can be fun in non-strategic areas, but anything more than 5 consecutive jumps becomes a royal pain. So in this map, there are some tall buildings, but you dont feel like you are climbing stairs forever.

2. keep the blocks simple. simple blocks = smaller map = more people have potential to play. In this map, the most complex part is the pyramid the breaks up the center of the block pyramid. it created a different sort of gameplay.

3. protect the spawns. I played for a while last night, and spawn kills never really entered my mind. It is a better way. (not that spawn kills didnt happen, but they were certainly reduced)

This is not my most techinically accurate map. If you look at the corners where the blocks join you can see the fudge factor. That is because when I was drawing the cut-in-half pyramid block I started out wrong, and it gave me a headache trying to shift everything back.......so I said fudge it, and posted it anyway.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Not a lot of visiblility there.

I'm not a big fan of the pyrmaids as water thing, tho they do look good. Driving on them is odd. I would flip them updside down, cus now in 1.9 you can drive on the bottoms of them and that would make it easyer.
ImageJeffM
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

yeah, i am not a big fan of the water thing either, but i wanted to create a visual block between the lower and upper levels and this was the only way.