map: balance

General talk about the map making process.
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

map: balance

Post by RedRock »

Ok this is the first map I created..... I want to thanks for the people who gave me some advices. It begon as wanting to make a 1vs1 map. It seems it's a bit too big..although it could be done. I also had another idea for teh lower level....but I left it like you see :). Now It's more usefull for ctf with multiple players I suppose...or mayeb also free-for-all

I made the map so you can come everywhere (where intended to be) without jumping. But it seems the server won't let de disallow jumping....I hope this can be done in the future.

Anyway I have 2 bases for ctf.

I hope you like it people. I tested it on a g0-server.

I have taken some screenshots for people who are interested....:

http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/~michel/bzflag/
Attachments
balance.map
(16.24 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Last edited by RedRock on Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I made the map so you can come everywhere (where intended to be) without jumping. But it seems the server won't let de disallow jumping....I hope this can be done in the future.

remove -j from the server invoke......if that doesnt work, not sure what the issue is.

....looked at the map, interesting for a 1vs1 battle.....
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

some comments of myself

Post by RedRock »

*Falling of is "punished"..... I wanted to do this else..but anyway.

*Placed the 2 bases close to eachother on purpose..have to see what it gives...
there are some protections present to prevent teams/players shooting eachother near the bases..but it's possible.

*Check out how the teleporters work...you can sometimes use it to your advantage I think....
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

"punished"....hmm

alright, this might sound harsh.....and its not meant to be, its a great idea for a map, and I like the map up to a single point......that point is that if the upper section is where most play is suppose to occur, i would expect the shot count to be real low or the shot length to be real short.....mainly because there is very little place to dodge shots...........which is probably intentional from the name of the map, but it would be nice if there were a couple pyramids or blocks around to dodge a shot without being forced off........but maybe i am missing the point......it happens.

if i was playing this map, i would stay on the lower level because dodging shots down there is easier.......unless i have to stay up top to prevent my flag from being stolen....but then, it might get stolen real quick anyhow.....hmmm, i guess i am having a rough time with it..........

i like the map though.....have you tried adding 2-3 floating blocks up top?......if so, what happened to the way it played......

i assume laser is forbidden on this map.....or are all flags forbidden........

ok, i am digging a deep pit here...........have you found someone to host the map for a bit....???.......i would like to see it play out and see if my anticipations are full of hot air...... :)
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

nope

Post by RedRock »

haven't asked really yet.... I just tested it out 1 on 1 with some people while I was running the server on my own computer..... If somebody wants to host it please let me know so I can see what I have to pay attention to in the future/change.... thanks

*If you stay down you will never capture teh flag of the other team :d
*adding some pyramids...maybe have to see that indeed when the map is played upon...would like to test this but don't know how many people may mdoem can handle without too much lag.

When I played it I only enabled 2-shot (and 1 time) 1-shot bullet-shots. nothing else.

*I haven't tested with more obstacles but it corssed my mind while making.
This way it's more difficult..maybe more pyramids would make it more interesting..mayeb not....I had the 1 vs 1 battles in mind in the beginning so It was my opinion that every spot had to be accesible quickly. I didn't change it. Mayeb I'll add some...but I first would liek to see how it is without those....
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

RedRock, here is some of the ideas I was thinking about. I really like the idea that this is a non-jumping map. I tried to stay true to some of your initial ideas.

others, RedRock was nice enough to let me mod his map, which I do appreciate, since I am losing my creativity..........lol :)

IMHO, the ideas behind RedRock's map design is sound, and deserves some attention. The lack of jumping will appeal to those non-rabbits in the crowd. My modifications are what my impressions of improvements I would need to make this map playable for myself. I have difficultly driving narrow blocks. I also need a couple places to rest while I gather a strategy to attack the next target.

Otherwise this is a very cool idea. The idea of a complete map with multiple levels, but no jumping has a twisted appeal in my mind.......its also a very wide open map making driving skills a key.
Attachments
balance_mod.map
modifications to help the elderly....
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

changed it bit

Post by RedRock »

Ok I changed the following things:

*Tried to give some protection when player gets back to top level..but not to much.....

*added some pyramids (4) to the top level to provide some cover but th eproblem with these pyramids is that I can drive through them...and bullets go through them too....Does somebody has a possible explanation for that ??? I changed the map in the first post of this page to this new one.

thanks....will look at the mod tomorrow..am curiuous... now gonna sleep ...
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

pyramids

Post by RedRock »

Read somewhere that there is a problem with collision-detection of pyramids which or above the ground.....and it seems it isn't solved yet: anyway not yet in 1.7g2. This is annoying in this map... If I had time enough I would look at the code..but haven't enough time... maybe it's fixed in 1.9???

I'll change the objects to blocks for now...
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

the problem with collisions on elevated pyramids(ie off the ground) is if the height of the pyramid is taller than the elevation off the ground.

so, if you have a pyramid of height 50, it must be higher than 50 units off the ground.

also note, that this makes every pyramid drive-through/shoot-through in g2, in the 1.9 version stuff you can independantly control both attributes.......by default in 1.9 elevated pyramids are solid, non-drive-through/non-shoot-through....just like blocks.
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

pyramids changed

Post by RedRock »

Ok .. since the pyramids will eb solid in the future I suppose..I have renamed the one with the pyramids on the top-level to balance-Pyr.map.

In my balance.map I now use some blocks for this..although you can maybe drive through some of them too..but not sure..but they all seem to bounce bullets with the +r-option of the server.

Have fun....

P.S.: Both maps can be found when you follow the link specified in the first post of this page...
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

segfault

Post by RedRock »

Koba, when I try to load your map..I get a segmentation fault......I use the following command to start the server:

bzfs -fb -j +r -c -p 5155 -mp 0,4,4,0,0 -ms 2 -world /home/michel/tmp/balance_mod.map

I'm using g0-server..

Don't you have this problem?
david_v
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by david_v »

Maybe he made a 1.9 map without thinking about it. :)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

nah, i think i may messed up the links.........i only viewed the map on bzedit.....since it what more of a test map thingy.......

i'll check and repost...
Attachments
balance_mod.map
corrected links
(18.41 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

looks like the links were a little foiled....although, i still havent had time to see if that perfectly corrects the problem.....sry

(recovering from heavy chemical injections.....just say no to CAT scans)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

RedRock -

I ran my mod'ed version of the map this weekend. There was quite a bit of positive feedback for the general idea. Now, to make this map effective, we need to have someone modify/hack the server code to allow maps with elevated bases/flags on buildings with NO jumping. I think one of the developers was trying to make the code idiot proof, and never considered this style of play.

Now, rumors have it in 1.9 you can mod the gravity setting to create the ability to dodge a shot with jump, but you cant effectively jump from building to building.......which is what i think you were going for.

I could not find documentation on that subject however, and the folks on IRC were not helpful.

If so there is an issue with my map, in that the boxes I placed as "interference" on the upper levels allow the team flags to drop there under certain circumstances. Since you used pyramids instead of boxes, I think you will not be impacted in that way.
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

Redrock, neat idea. Good work.