Atari 2600 combat maps?

General talk about the map making process.
grunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Atari 2600 combat maps?

Post by grunch »

I'm completely new to bzflag, and can't play much on available servers owing to a dial-up connection, but I'm hoping to get some practice by going one-on-one with any friends who might be willing to run a server for the purpose, and it occurs to me that the perfect map for this would be a port of one of the old Combat maps (the simple one and the "cluttered" one). I couldn't find any reference to a previous discussion of this, so I'm asking here if anyone has created any such maps? It seems like an obvious (and obligatory) idea, but if nobody's done it yet then maybe I'll try to get around to learning some map makin' skillz... :)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Welcome To BZFlag!

AFAIK, no one has ever done a map in atari-combat style. Basic mapmaking is relatively easy. For what you want to do, you could use simple boxes for the whole map. The hard part will be initial server setup.

Here are two servers that I operate, and you might be interested in.
"Battlezone Vectrex- Progressive Flags with Rabbit Chase" Is a map made by Lagamemnon, in the old arcade Battlezone vector-screen style. I also run my progressive flag plugin there.
"Planet MoFo 1000 Map Library Server" currently has over 1500 maps on it. To use the library features, sign in with a registered name/pass and use the command /maprandom or look at the help files and choose a map by number. /mapchange number.

When you find a map you like, save it to a local file with "/saveworld map_name.bzw", then you can open the bzw in your favorite text editor.
Another option is "saveworld -o map_name.bzw" which will save a map in .obj format, which can be read by most 3D editors. I suggest using Wings3d.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
grunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by grunch »

Optic Delusion wrote:Here are two servers that I operate, and you might be interested in.
Another option is "saveworld -o map_name.bzw" which will save a map in .obj format, which can be read by most 3D editors. I suggest using Wings3d.
Thanks, I'll check out the servers and build the app (although I'm pretty happy doing things in a text editor most of the time) at my earliest opportunity - when I'm not too braindead to do anything but run amok in a tank ;). I noticed that .bzw wasn't listed as one of the export formats on the wings3d site, but I'm assuming there must be a way to get things to and fro...

I'm thinking the fun part will be trying to match the scale (mostly in terms of shot distance, I guess) as closely as possible to the original... I don't suppose the range of fire is settable as a map parameter? I'll figure it out.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Wings3D
The BZFlag wiki is getting better all the time. Get the wings-to-bzw exporter there.
When you download the exporter, you have to be sure that your browser does not auto-expand the file. Load the exporter plugin into wings in it's compressed .tar.gz format.

Join a server and ise this command to convert bzw to obj.
/saveworld -o map_name.bzw

As far as setting the shot length to match.... Just about everything is fully adjustable in a server. You will be surprised by the plethora of options you have.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
grunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by grunch »

Optic Delusion wrote:As far as setting the shot length to match.... Just about everything is fully adjustable in a server. You will be surprised by the plethora of options you have.
Sweeeeet. Thanks for the tips. Hope to get a start on it soon. :)