Map prototyping

General talk about the map making process.
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Map prototyping

Post by captainmack »

I was wondering what methods of map prototyping everyone used. Right now i save my bzw file and store it in my local maps directory. i then have to manually start bzfs through the terminal defining my conf. i then start up bzflag and join localhost:5154. i was wondering if anyone else had something better, so that i could fine tune certain positions quickly with many small edits. with my method it is just too time consuming.

so what are your methods?
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I store everything in the map file, so I can then just call:

Code: Select all

bzfs -world supahcool.bzw
My bzflag config saves the last server I went to, so I can easily tap in to connect to localhost. Also, I try to make edits in batches, to save time.

I guess it's possible to hack your text editor to run bzfs and start bzflag with a keyboard macro, but you'll have to do that yourself.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I set up BZFlag in windowed mode, then I use the in-game 'start server' menu to quickly restart the server when needed. I have the main BZW file open in another window, and then Wings 3D and Photoshop ready in the background.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You might want to try my BZWTestLauncher application. It is in SVN as the source, and I have a Windows binary available for testing. Since is is C#, it should run on linux via the mono project, but I haven't tested it.
http://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv ... tLauncher/
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11785
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

what they said ^^.

(original post deleted) They beat me to it.
this signature intentionally left blank
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

i have a mac so i would have to mess around with compiling that test launcher.

i guess ill just use windowed bzflag and save my set options in the bzw file, and always keep the terminal window open so i can just hit ctr-c then up-arrow to restart the server.

thanks for your input
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I do it all in one desktop, 1st edit, save, start, test (see attached screenshot)
Attachments
xcerion05.png
(462.57 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
knoxcorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by knoxcorner »

I have 2 shortcuts, one for the command line (already has a starting line of path\to\bzfs), and the other, a shortcut to my configurations file, so i just type:

Code: Select all

bzfs -conf nameofconfig.conf
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

PETER wrote:I do it all in one desktop, 1st edit, save, start, test (see attached screenshot)
This is just what I had in mind.