Sketchup CAN work, just get version 5!

General talk about the map making process.
soccermiles
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sketchup CAN work, just get version 5!

Post by soccermiles »

I discovered recently that sketchup 5, though it costs a little money, can convert .skp's to .obj's, but when I tried to use it to make a map...well apparently it creates models that are stuck at 90 degree angles where in the actuall sketchup program they would be in the plain you designed them for. Basically what I did was make a flat surface, and in the game it appeared off-map, and facing off to the side at a 90 degree angle, so when I rotated it 90 degrees, it ended up being a cieling instead of a floor. It works but I need a program that I can edit obj's with. Can anyone help? :?
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

Try rotating your model -90 or 270 degrees. That should get your model right side up. For a .obj editor, try Blender or Wings3d. You might also want their .bzw plugins: Blender and Wings3d.

The general consensus is that Wings is easier to learn than Blender, but Blender can do quite a bit more.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

That rotation probably occurs because the BZFlag coordinate system uses Z axis as the vertical dimension, whereas many 3D modeling packages use the Y axis by default.

You may be able to change this in sketchup (I don't know, I've never used it). Try looking for an option like "Swap Y and Z axis".

If you load your OBJ into wings, the BZW wings exporter has an option to swap them.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

You can use modeltool to rotate the your objects when converting from obj to bzw.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

I've tried it after you convert it it makes that map really weird though, like some walls are invisible for no reason.
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

You can export OBJ for free- hack for sketchup!

Post by yarro »

Two ideas:
1). Work you model to completion in the free version and then get the pro trial. It lets you export for free for a goodly number of hours in several standard formats.
2). There is a file format in sketchup that can be converted through a number of steps. There are a few tuts for this, here is a link to one.
http://forums.devshed.com/game-developm ... 19710.html
:P