incredible new idea!

General talk about the map making process.
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

incredible new idea!

Post by fluffy mcduff »

i have a really neat idea! so you make a map with a red base in the middle and 4 blue bases on the outside, then you only put a red flag on the red base. then you have a red team, no blue team and then rouges. the rouges try to get the red flag and bring it to one of the blue bases! its like hold the tower or something!!! :D :D :D :D tell me what you think!
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

to get a better idea, heres a screenshot.[/img]
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

fluffy mcduff wrote:to get a better idea, heres a screenshot.[/img]
Nice picture xD You DIDNT POST IT!!!!! xD
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

well one blue problem with that idea. Um rogues CANNOT cap flags so either change the teams or do something but rogues will not work.
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

dang. blue, then
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

I'd been contemplating doing a map with a similar mechanic - two teams and only one flag that doesn't belong to either. Best solution I could think of was to put the two teams flags' spawn locations in places that couldn't be accessed at all. Then create a third team, limit the third team to only one tank, and then have an unkickable/unbannable, do-nothing bot autojoin that team. The bot doesn't actually play (doesn't drive anywhere, doesn't shoot at anything), it only exists to keep that team flag in play.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

This is almost identical to hold the flag, but with multiple teams. It's not a bad idea, but several variations of this have been done already.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You could also modify bzfs to spawn the one team flag and no others.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by diing for the team »

isn't this practicaly the same thing as king of the hill and htf
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Avatar wrote:I'd been contemplating doing a map with a similar mechanic - two teams and only one flag that doesn't belong to either. Best solution I could think of was to put the two teams flags' spawn locations in places that couldn't be accessed at all. Then create a third team, limit the third team to only one tank, and then have an unkickable/unbannable, do-nothing bot autojoin that team. The bot doesn't actually play (doesn't drive anywhere, doesn't shoot at anything), it only exists to keep that team flag in play.
I did this a long time ago (though it was with a bzfs mod to spawn the flag). Two or three teams would race to the center to capture a flag that spawned in the center of the map. Most of the time, the hexagonal Passion map was used, sometimes with multiple bases per team.

I called it "Steal The Bacon", after the playground game.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Steal the Bacon was a great game mode... I'm sorry it didn't catch on. Of course most people didn't understand how to play. Kinda like they think CTF is the same as FFA now. :P
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Recently i had an idea that is similar, and it's so simple to do that i can't believe that i was the first person to think about it. Somebody had to do this before me, sometime.

I call it one base for all. It plays like a better version of Hold The Flag (HTF) Here's how it goes.
Put all your bases right next to each other.
Use zoneflag to always place all the team flags far away from the bases.

Players spawn at the base and have to run all the way across the map and all the way back, to capture a flag. This completely eliminates the need for symmetry in the map, while maintaining balanced CTF distances.
...Well, it almost maintains balance, it becomes very easy to camp at the team-flag-zone, so i had a freind make a very simple plugin that kills all players after any team captures. When this is used in tandem with my Race_To_Seven plugin it works extremely well. Each capture becomes a race by both teams to get to the same spot. It plays just like HTF, but with two or more teamflags, and better score keeping.
I'm going to try this technique on the "Rain-N-Frogs By LandShark" server that i just started this morning. That's right, I'm going to make that map CTF.
I'm working on releasing the CTF_Kill_All plugin right now...

I used a seperate zone for each team flag. (Only one team flag per zone definition)
zone
position -330 -370 10
zoneflag R*
end
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

why not just have some SW world weapon that extends over the whole map that goes off when a flag is captured.... :roll: