Help with map

General talk about the map making process.
G1c
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help with map

Post by G1c »

This is my first map and i was hoping that some of you could give me some advise. this will be a two team ctf.
Attachments
bzfi0028.png
(786.12 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
bzfi0025.png
the big picture
(622.6 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, judging by the first screenshot, the bases are intersected with the box, so the textures are going to flicker. Modify it so that the base is on top of the box.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

the two big boxes in the sides, they could have a few more boxes on top of them. going up like steps. so the base then a smaller one that you can jump to, then a smaller one on top of that. you can also jump to. and if your going to make it a geno map with geno in the middle, then you are going to have to make the geno harder to get. btw, according to a question i asked a while ago, geno makes the map popular..
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Help with map

Post by ducatiwannabe »

On relatively open maps, small patches (or "forests") of pyramids are sometimes helpful. It helps to break up the monotony a bit when you're driving for long distances. Typically, there are a lot of tall, thin pyramids... or a few fat, short ones. I think that would help you a little bit, but you're off to a good start.

Using very big objects makes your map seem rather empty. As suggested, maybe put a few small blocks on top of the big ones you've put in already.

Lastly, try to make multiple height levels of play. Two or three is usually good.

Good start, good luck. ;-) Welcome to mapmaking.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

With map making in general it is next to impossible to make everyone happy or like it, so do the best you can, release a test version and see how people like it and ask people for ideas to add and such, like 1) is capping easy?
2) is it exiting and original?
3) are all if not most bugs worked out?

and on a side note: ducatiwannabe, you gave me a few ideas, thanks
Last edited by Bambino on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

i would like to add to sniper's comment. If u add super flags to the map. Please. Please add shot limits to the flags. With a big map like yours and many little corners it would be way to easy to camp. Specially with laser. Gm may be a good weapon to camp with there but there arent too many high places. But still use shot limits.

I dont mean to confuse you more but if you are using a config file or using an options block it may be a good idea to use these code. Just a helpful tip :D

Code: Select all

-sl <flag initial> <shot limit>
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I wouldn't add a shot limit to every superflag. A "superflag" is any of the flags, including bad ones (with the possible exception of team flags). It's not just the ones that show up in white next to your name. :)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

I agree with all of the other posts, i make maps sometimes too (not as popular as one would hope :( ). however the one thing that does seem to attract people is if you did something completely different. If i see a completely new map with something i've never seen, ill stop to check it out (somehow this dosent work on my maps :? ) but yeah it looks like a good first map and with a little more work it could be pretty nice

Keep up the good work
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.