Camping should be endorsed

General talk about the map making process.
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Camping should be endorsed

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

I've noticed that a lot of maps don't allow camping anymore, which I find very sad. I think camping should be endorsed, not hindered. It leads to comic situations such as people teaming up to kill the camper and such. I had that happen to me years ago and they all started fighting amongst themselves because not everyone got the message. Very funny.
joevano
General
General

Re: Camping should be endorsed

Post by joevano »

Where are you playing at? I really don't know of anywhere that doesn't allow people to camp. Sure people complain about camping, but it is a players job to kill the camper.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Camping is fully endorsed at Planet MoFo, we've created spots in the corners where it's great to camp with laser or GM, and there are 13 seperate oscillation overthruster camping spots. People like to camp on the center cake wih shockwave and GM. You can camp with stealth if you're good.
There's really nowhere to hide though, you're always vulnerable. All of the non-camping weapons have their settings turned up.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

I dont think i know one single map that disallows camping completely. I think its BZTank that doesnt want excessive camping. Anyway, most maps these days are made for camping and ive yet to see one without it...
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

Camping is hindered by shot limits, wings and map topography. Planet Mofo had a nice map mod where you could easily jump on the roof in the corners and use a Laser to kill off anyone and defend your position easily. That was fun. They changed it a couple of weeks later so you couldn't jump on the roof as easily (I don't know how to get up there now) and made roof very high in two of the four corners.

In many other maps the shot limits are the culprit. Oh and I despise wings, they shouldn't have been included in the game in the first place. No maps should use the Wing superflag.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

So you are complaining.. and yes you are complaining, because maps have shot limits? That is not to stop camping. That is a feature to help make the map more playable. What you are asking for is dead servers. With unlimited shots some of the maps become unplayable and one player can drive everyone away. Where is the good in that for the server owner or the players. Good map design is a balance. The map must be challenging for all players. Campers can camp and use their bullets wisely, that is part of the game.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I really suggest you make a map to your liking and get it hosted. You can always go onto Missile War 2.3, sit on the wall and camp to your hearts content.
The Mofo Trick

Want to jump from one platform to a platform directly above? To do this trick, it helps to zoom in the radar until you tank clearly appears as a rectangle. Then, drive your tank until it is just perched on the edge. Jump straight up, while turning slowly. If everything is done right, your tank will not hit the upper platform, and will instead pass it sideways. Your tank will then be one level higher. Keep in mind that you are very vulnerable if you are not paying attention while doing this
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Jumping
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The Wings flag in 2.99.x (which will become 3.0.0) behaves a bit differently, so you might not mind it as much. In 2.0.x, when you jump while in the air, it instantly rockets you upward at the jump speed. But in 3.0.0, it will instead add the jump velocity to your current vertical velocity (capped at the jump velocity so you can't accelerate out of control), which will mean that people can no longer jump off a 500 unit building and then hit jump just before landing to avoid a bullet on the ground.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

LittleLep wrote:I think its BZTank that doesnt want excessive camping.
Really? The Two Tanks, laser sniping = camping, Castle Warfare GM camping in 3 levels, laser camping in the top level? I think camping is fully allowed. They just don't like spawn killing & spawn camping.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Bambino
You have corrected me, thanks. I can picture the -srvmsg when joining the server saying something about camping. Your right. It is spawn camping
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

When I'm playing defensively, like protecting the base, I camp all the time. I wish I could convince one or two other people to camp with me, so we could get some good crossing lines of fire.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

camping (other then spawn camping) IS a defence strategy, just like adameros said above. so personally, i do not see anything bad about it.
however, it is different (not in a good way) when a player sits somewhere on base with SW and hits the fire button every time someone spawns there. that is just not fair because other team will never get a chance to kill the camper.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!