Quick question.

General talk about the map making process.
Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Quick question.

Post by Wonder Boy »

hey guys, i was wondering what is the best program for mapmaking. i've seen some really awesome maps on bz in the past years of my expeerience, and i was just wondering what the best program for it was, and if u could post a link to dl it, i would appreciate it ALOT!!! ty if u do so, if i find a good one, ill have mre questions. so if u guys would be so kind by helping me find one. ty

-wonderboy
-Wonder boy: Tank of MASS DESTRUCTION!
joevano
General
General

Re: Quick question.

Post by joevano »

The best ones just use a text editor...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wonder Boy »

if it just uses a txt editor, then how do u get pictures?
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Run it in a server, Public or private.

Bzedit1.6.5
Wings3d
Blender

Those are some good map making programs. Notepad is also good ;)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

yeah, what Bambino said! :)
also some other programs like SketchUp can be used, although you will have to either get PRO or a .obj exporter (and use modeltool to convert that to .bzw)
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Wings3D comes with the bzflag exporter pre-installed.
It's easy enough for a beginner, and powerful enough for bzflag.

No matter what 3D editor you use, the ability to work in text is necessary.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wonder Boy »

so no matter what map maker i use, i have to use a note pad? i cant just have a blank map, and put in all the obstacles? i know some scripts would have to be involved, for the flags and things, but is their a map editor that reaches my requirements?
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Dedicated BZW map editors can do things like bases, physics, and dynamic colors. Those can't be done with a 3D editor that is not specifically designed for BZFlag.
On the other hand... 3D editors can do complex meshes that no bzw editor can.
You can do a basic map with either method, but you'll always want to add the finishing touches in text. Things like groups and zones are not handled by the bzw editors.

Maybe bzworkbench will have a binary release someday.
Modeltool is still the only method of producing drawinfo bzw objects, and it requires obj format. So you'll need a 3-d editor to make drawinfo.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

You can download bzedit 1.6.5 and that will have the most basic objects (box base pyramid teleporters). But to make nice maps with textures you ned to hand edit them in notepad or textEdit.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Wonder Boy, give it a try with BZEdit (or iBZEdit, depending on your OS) and notepad (or any your favorite text editor). Use wiki for help. also you can pm me, i'll be glad to help with the map code.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wonder Boy »

thanks guys so much. now one last thing... is their like a bzedit for linux? i'm not using windows, i have open geu linux. idk many ppl that use linux, but i was jw. if not ill just use windows on my other cpu. but thanx for all your help.

nvm, one more last thing. do u guys know the link for one of the downloaders? one thats not gonna give me a virus if i download it.

once again. ty for all ur help guys. i appreciate it
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Just google for "BZEdit for windows"- you won't get a virus.

Also, for linux you can use BZFed, or BZEdit, although you will have to compile both. If I recall correctly, BZEdit doesn't compile anymore, so either using BZFed or BZEdit for windows would be your best bet.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The linux "BZEdit" (assuming you're talking about the one on SF.net) probably won't work anymore. IIRC, it was dependent on something in GTK that has since been removed. BZFed is a 3rd party program. You could try building BZWorkBench from our SVN. If you need help on that, feel free to hop onto our IRC channel.

To get that code, you would run the following command:
svn co https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... workbench/ bzworkbench

There are a few dependencies, so make sure to read the README file. And I'm honestly not sure if it will build or work right now. I haven't tried it in a while, and it's still "in development". But worth a shot if you want a BZW editor. If it works, it should be one of the most up to date editors.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wonder Boy »

blast wrote:The linux "BZEdit" (assuming you're talking about the one on SF.net) probably won't work anymore. IIRC, it was dependent on something in GTK that has since been removed.

i have this program that i tried to use for another game. its called

GTKradiant now is that what u mean? im sorry, but im new to this.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No. Looks like it needs gtkglarea, which I think is long gone.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Wonder Boy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wonder Boy »

oh. ok. ty anyway. and id like to thank everyone whos helped me so far. thx guys. big help. if i have any further questions, ill post it