The perfect map.

General talk about the map making process.
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

The perfect map.

Post by hutty »

I want to make a map that is fun to play on and has lasting value. What things do you look for in a good map? Please tell.

Examples:
Camping spots
lots of jumping places
lots of flags
few flags
textures
no textures
ect ect.
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The perfect map.

Post by Bambino »

Few to no flags and good ricochet options.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

bambino and i hav similar play styles. just one player is better than the other ;) few flags, not only good but different rico spots (numerous) and for those few flags, something to empower them, yet keep them tolerated.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Lots of flags and no ricos...

You are going to really have a hard time coming to a consensus. Really it just depends on the map, the options need to compliment and enhance the design.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A good map isn't always something that you make in a day and post online. Most of the "good" maps have had a lot of testing, feedback, and updates to get them to where they are today.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Most of the best maps aren't focused on fighting, like the mazes or Loumans. Art > War.

Otherwise, flags seem to be more bother than they are worth. Jumping needs skill. Rico needs skill. Pyrs and corners need skill. You need a lot of deflectors but little shielding.

And CTF is worth trying, less focus on war makes most maps better.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

tobylane wrote:Most of the best maps aren't focused on fighting, like the mazes or Loumans. Art > War.

Otherwise, flags seem to be more bother than they are worth. Jumping needs skill. Rico needs skill. Pyrs and corners need skill. You need a lot of deflectors but little shielding.

That is a load of horse manure. ^

PLAYABILITY is what makes maps, regardless of their aesthetic qualities. That is, the tactical qualities that make up balanced play for all teams, or interesting play for FFA. If you want to build a really popular map, you'll need to find that extra something that people just seem to like. Some maps have it, most don't - and I couldn't tell you what that is, because it seems entirely subjective.

There is no formula anybody here can tell you for a popular map. Just build it to be what YOU think will make a good map, and what you think people will find fun.

Eye candy is great, but for popular maps they come secondary to playability and layout.
Last edited by Spazzy McGee on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Spazzy is correct about playability.

@spazzy:
i think that huttymuncher's purpose of this topic was to see what the players liked in a map. When you make a map the way YOU want, then your not too sure how others will like it. Otherwise, your correct
Strakowski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Strakowski »

Spazzy McGee wrote:Eye candy is great, but for popular maps they come secondary to playability and layout.
Indeed, the maps I have the most fun with are the ones that have been built with gameplay in mind, not aesthetics. I believe that at the core of every map, the floorplan is what matters most. :book: Every mapmaker should have an idea of how his/her maps going to play out. It's usually pretty obvious when a map has/hasn't been constructed with physics in mind. For example, when one 'story' is short enough to jump onto, but not enough to not jump over, and the buildings/objects themselves are spread apart at jumping distances or other lengths with significance (jump with agility, falling from two stories up, two flaps with wings, etc.)

[controversial]Though many people may disagree, I also think that no flag should be significantly better than others. The and you're dealt shouldn't matter as much as how you play it, and besides, nothing frustrates me like a long GM rampage :x . [/controversial]

So have a plan! No what you are doing, how you are going to go about doing it, and whether or not it's worth it. Maps should always be unique, too. If it's already been done, don't bother doing it. And even if it hasn't, you should still proceed with caution.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Spazzy McGee wrote:
tobylane wrote:Most of the best maps aren't focused on fighting, like the mazes or Loumans. Art > War.

That is a load of horse manure. ^

PLAYABILITY is what makes maps, regardless of their aesthetic qualities. That is, the tactical qualities that make up balanced play for all teams, or interesting play for FFA. If you want to build a really popular map, you'll need to find that extra something that people just seem to like. Some maps have it, most don't - and I couldn't tell you what that is, because it seems entirely subjective.

There is no formula anybody here can tell you for a popular map. Just build it to be what YOU think will make a good map, and what you think people will find fun.

Eye candy is great, but for popular maps they come secondary to playability and layout.

I agree completely :)
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

looks like the question I asked has many different answers.

In my opinion I tend to favor maps with little rico more fast paced, well spaced platforms for jumping, lots of flags, and good sniping positions.
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
jack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jack »

I like laser sniping, games with not radar, and places where if you don't conceal yourself you get killed in a heartbeat. GMing is fun, but if you get cloak to stop lasers, you get GMed. If you get stealth to not get GMed, you get lasered. Its a no win situation.
Now, an army is a team - it lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. - Patton
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

There needs to be a balance of powers. Like on bloodbath there were snipers, but you could sw them by jumping off the bridge.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

In my opinion, a good map works with default or nearly default settings. GM turn angle should definitely not be increased, nor should tank speed. Personally I enjoy ricochet and few flags, and no jumping.
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Ducati style is the prefect map ;) great ricochets, learning to dodge, using all your bullets wisely. It takes skill :)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Bambino wrote:Ducati style is the prefect map ;) great ricochets, learning to dodge, using all your bullets wisely. It takes skill :)

That's why I don't like playing ducati style maps, because it takes skills I don't have :wink:

...BZFlag Forever.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Gamma wrote:
Bambino wrote:Ducati style is the prefect map ;) great ricochets, learning to dodge, using all your bullets wisely. It takes skill :)

That's why I don't like playing ducati style maps, because it takes skills I don't have :wink:
You won't get the skills if you don't practice ;)
PhaseShifter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PhaseShifter »

I can't say there's one perfect map--I like some variety. That said:

Ricochet: I like it a lot. I just don't like getting blamed for TKing when anyone watching the radar can see me trying to hit someone by banking shots off 2-3 surfaces, but still chooses to run back and forth across my line of fire. Maps without rico are fine too, just not as interesting.

Shot limits: depends on the map--sometimes a weapon is an effective godmode for certain maps, and the number of uses needs to be limited.

Fastshot: The shots need to have a short range, or you need a decent number of obstacles so you have a good chance of not being killed within .5 seconds of spawning when the server has more than 2 players. The worst of these maps also lack shot limits and include GM (which stands for Godmode just as much as "guided missile" in this case--someone can get GM, hop on top of a building, and chain kill as many as five or six other players)

bad flags: I prefer maps without them, but bad flags that last a few seconds are OK. (They basically change the tactics from "search for the perfect flag" to "find one that works and use it", so people don't run around grabbing and dropping flags at random.) Bad flags that last a whole minute tend to ruin gameplay, though.

Jumping: I'm a noob, I like to jump. But it's more than that--some maps have a bit of a platformer/obstacle course nature to them, and that adds a bit more variety to gameplay.
Ragnarok
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ragnarok »

I like maps that have rico, but not ones (like Tricolor) that almost every time you shoot, you get a rico and kill yourself or your teammates. I Also, like maps with good GMing spots that are not too open but if there is a ST nearby, you are dead. Also, places where there are good L sniping spots, but not so much as if everyone on one team gets L, you cant really do anything if you are on the other team. Also, places where CL are really helpful are fun to play in. Maps that have 2 teams and big bases (Missile War 2.3 by Ducatiwnnannabe) are also fun. More than 2 teams can get really confusing and annoying.
"Before all else, be armed." -Niccolo Machiavelli
"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." - N.M.
"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - N.M.
"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not will be victorious." - Sun Tzu
"I am not afraid of an army of lions lead by a sheep, but I am afraid of an army of sheep lead by a lion." - Alexander the Great
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." - Bertrand Russell
"To win a war, you don't die for your country, you make the other guy die for his country."
"The way to win a war is to make certain it never starts." - Omar Bradley