Nimitz 1.1 map

General talk about the map making process.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Neat.

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I stumbled on this when it was hosted somewhere, and I thought it was really excellent - an interesting idea, very well done.

What made you think of it? Have you spent any time at sea?
(I used to design AI systems to find subs).
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I was in the USMC from 1976 - 1980. All land-based, but I was an enlisted avionics tech, worked on radar/crypto/ecm/iff. Primarily on A-4 and F-4 aircraft. I was one of the first Marines to visit the McDonnel Douglas plant in St. Louis and view F/A-18s on the assembly line and in test flights.

My next tour would have been on a carrier if I had stayed in, but I was college bound. Went there to get GI Bill so I could afford college, and I stuck with my plans. I loved naval aviation, though, and was on the Enterprise once for a day with some friends that got stationed on it. I was fascinated with the flight deck operations.

When I got out, I stayed with the Air National Guard for another 16 years to be around aircraft, but it was never the same. The tempo isn't like the carrier world. Retired as Major, but I prefer the title Captain, which I carried longer. :)

I got the idea from a couple of other maps with airports and aircraft. But airports and jumbo jets don't appeal to me like the carriers. Bingo! Idea!

I waffled between a Nimitz class carrier and the new carrier designs planned by DoD. Decided Nimitz because of my own past. Was easy enough to get decent schematics to put it together, without too much detail.

It was hosted on galkire - Grumbler brought it up for public testing. (Thanks again, Grumbler!)

I'm busy trying to find deck schematics for several other ships.

Plus, I'm also stumbling through more of Trepan's bzmapper capabilities.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

cool...f-14's have swing-wing, f-15e's don't?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

F-14's have swing wings and were designed as a naval aircraft.

F15s have fixed wings and were designed for use by the airforce

F18 is a multi role fighter and is currently used by many forces, incuding the blue angles.
ImageJeffM
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

i like the first one :)

the f-18 is also called the F/A-18 (Fighter/Attack), right?
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

The letter before the dash indicates role. Fighter, Attack, Electronic Warfare, Surveillance, Helicopter, etc.

There is only the F/A-18. I was just short typing it. It's dual-role, fighter and attack. It's the only true dual-role fighter in the inventory. All others are fighters that were designed as fighters but also can perform some attack roles, and you don't see them listed as such. The F-15 has been used in attack roles, and the F-16 and F-4, for example. But then, the Air Force doesn't have any true attack aircraft any more. The closest they get is the F-15E, the Strike Eagle. It's got enhancements that make it better for attack, but it's still a top notch fighter platform.

[/list]
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

dont forget X and Y :)
ImageJeffM
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

wasn't the last AF attack aircraft the A-4 Skyhawk fighter-bomber?
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

The A-4 was a small, single engine, light attack aircraft. It could fight, but it wasn't real effective for that. We loaded Shrike missiles (anti-radar site), Sidewinder (heat-seeking air-to-air), and bombs. The Sidewinder, plus the internal 20mm cannon, were really there to allow limited defense during an attack mission. Often as not, the 20mm cannon was used to attack ground targets, too. Does a number on anything that isn't heavily armored.

It could also carry nukes, and our Navy sister units practiced with Walleye missiles, which were anti-ship, I believe. It was not strong for night or low-visibility missions.

The Blue Angels flew them for a number of years because they were so agile. The Marines' Black Sheep Squadron flew them, the A-4M, when I was active duty.

Our pilots all had other experience flying larger aircraft. They used to refer to it as the "go-cart." Here is a page with info and pics.
-toaster
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

remind me never to argue with you again about airplanes! :D

for curiosity and a want for this map, could someone tell me:

what the latest version of the map is

and

where i can get it

thanks!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I haven't finished converting it all to bzmapper, so the latest working version is 1.1, still on the first posting of this thread as an attached zip file.

Don't run it through bzmapper, because it did a few odd things with the teles and with a pyramid that's kind of special. Also, don't use bzedit on it, because it messes up the shoot-through options.

I'll be posting the next version soon, I hope.
-toaster
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

cool...look forward to seeing it!