Bigger, Badder, Babel

General talk about the map making process.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Bigger, Badder, Babel

Post by optic delusion »

I had the idea to take the map Grassroots by Babel, increase the size of everything by a factor of 7 to 5, and increase the tank speed to 35. I might decrease shot range a little, but everything else will be exactly the same. Will use the on-capture shockwaves currently used at openleague.
Do you think players will play it?

Until a couple of days ago, i thought the name of the map was "Babel" and it first played on a server called "Grassroots". I have learned that the mapmaker's callsign was Babel, and the map name was Grassroots. I'm going to use the name "Bigger, Badder, Babel"
It's creation pre-dates the days of license, and even pre-dates this forum. I do not anticipate any problems with license.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Bigger, Badder, Babel

Post by SkillDude »

By size factor you just mean the X and Y axes increasing correct? I guess it could be a bit interesting to play a larger Grassroots provided that the right map settings are in place. A bigger map will also mean those flat blocks around the map will be much much larger. So instead of having little blocks to hide around or try to trick an opponent with, now you would more ideally find a way to get on the platforms from far away, as to prevent being seen until you are on the same platform as your target. Then you would shoot away at them in hopes that they cannot dodge or will jump for you. When most people change tank speed, they change turn speed (_angularAd I believe) so that they are both the same ratio in comparison to their original, would you be doing the same here?

I think it would be interesting, though I am not really a good person to be asking if others will play a map though. Heh. If you increase it by such a large factor from 5 to 7 you mentioned, it will take a much longer time to go back and forth. This may be a nice opportunity to include more teleporters at the edges, as just the corner ones and the center may not be enough to create an easy to traverse map.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I'd be willing to give it a shot. Babel has been tons of fun in the past. I just worry there might not be enough players on it except at certain times, so the big size might actually make it difficult to get into the action.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Optic Delusion...i give the map totaly in your hands but if you need players ill make some calls and about 15 players on that map will be ok? (:
Just make it super-fun! hehe, ill bring tha playerrzzz.
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

ALright, I'll get it running tonight.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Good! PM me, ill come (: i cannot answer on PMs but ill just come when u write (:
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.