Small Help With a Large New Map Anyone?

General talk about the map making process.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Small Help With a Large New Map Anyone?

Post by Gerbil »

I have always loved making maps but am usually to swamped to get out the "dream" maps I'd like to make. Turns out I have just about finished a +1250 object 2-team, CTF map and would like a little assist for the "special effects". This would be things like world weapons, physics qualities, teleporter links, player and flag spawns and the like. It's lightly textured at the moment as I haven't had time to sit down and hand edit boxes made into meshes to keep their drive through properties, etc.

Since the new release, ALL the maps I have and have downloaded when run via BZW Test launcher refuse to make functional the following in-map functions:
Teleporter Links
Flag Spawns
Custom Effects (like Fog, Modified Weapon Ranges, Jumps, etc.)
Physics Engine Effects

So I get a flag-less map, no teleports and no effects or physics. This has been for all the maps I have downloaded from servers as well as ones I have used repeatedly for testing things. Started with my upgrade to 2.4. When I run these maps in the older 2.* versions same thing happens. Go figure. I used to run bat files and configs but the config files never work properly for me. So rather than spend time I don't have trouble testing, extensively searching the forums and attempting fixes by trial and error, I just want to add a few easy things to the map and have that person make sure it works. If someone wants to add more textures--awesome. I have a few but artistically there is certainly some room left for more.

I can pull out all the objects with properties to apply to them so no one has to go through the entire map to find things. If anyone is interested, let me know please and thanks.

The map is "Rat-Cat City" (based on my rivalry with the evil Cat 'O nine tails) and is a giant dam with the teams on opposite sides having to infiltrate each others bases via the dam top, through spillways and reservoirs or inside hidden maintenance shafts. There are boats, aircraft, lakes, fish and a LOT of "sneaky'" features--plus an Easter egg.

Here's a few early screens :
http://www.worldstrider.info/images/bzfi0003.png
http://www.worldstrider.info/images/bzfi0005.png
http://www.worldstrider.info/images/bzfi0006.png
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Small Help With a Large New Map Anyone?

Post by ahs3 »

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

Ha! Here I thought Gerbil was above the "RTFM" replies! j/k
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gerbil »

Haha. I can see you are developers in training.

What the wiki doesn't cover is real life task saturation. As in I am creating a community website with SMS interaction, flash and HTML 5 variants and hundreds of pages...in addition to home schooling a child and helping another find furniture for his family and move next week.

Got the BZ wiki link for that?

Or could someone with some time who doesn't mind spotting help.

Appreciated.

P.S. I do acknowledge your attempts at humor but don't make me destroy you with my fierce gerbilish powers. If I wanted wiki links I could have just asked Jeff for help. See?...Humor! (Sorry Jeff...but you know it's true) :D
P.S.S. I use the manuals for bedding. Who has time to read?
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.