Possible simple feature

General talk about the map making process.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Possible simple feature

Post by The Purple Panzer »

Sometimes when I'm editing a map I bounce back and forth between being 'Observer' to see how it looks, and whatever editing environment I'm using. Often it's hard to figure out where an object I see in Observer mode is in the map file.

I thought about going so far as to create physicsdrivers for the objects that would kill me with the message being the object's name. That's a bit over the top; but maybe some further info in Observer mode would do it: the name of the object I'm inside (if I'm inside one). I could of course then search for this name in the map file and alter its definition as appropriate (then restart, check again, etc.).

Anyone else think this might be useful? My hope is that implementation would be relatively easy, that is, there might be a lot of gain to mapmakers with minimal changes to the code base.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Possible simple feature

Post by JeffM »

The client does not actually have the name, so it's not possible with out breaking protocol.

The server loads the map and converts it into a binary representation that only has the info that the client needs. The names are thrown away after all the group instance and referencing is done. The client doesn't run from the BZW or anything like that.

The only solution is a map editor that has it's own "fly around" mode. If only that was possible
ImageJeffM
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Possible simple feature

Post by yarro »

There was a tool that loaded you in a game with your terrain and bots, it worked on XP. So if you have a powerfull machine and run it in a virtual machine? It grabbed your terrain, fired up the server and started a game. Of course no free roaming at any elevation.
No doubt you all knew this anyway : )