BzEdit

General talk about the map making process.
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

BzEdit

Post by Gollum »

Is there any plans to update bzedit or make a predecessor? I really enjoy it, but its very outdated, and much has to be changed in the file once I actually finish the base map structure.

Just Curious! :book:

( I am aware we have Wings3D, etc. I just love the simplicity of BZEdit, maybe just with updated code and such)
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BzEdit

Post by tainn »

It would be pretty hard to make a predecessor without going back in time, so only a potential successor might do ;)

Active development of BZEdit lasted for around a year and ended around 2002, which is a long time ago. Combined with the fact that most active map makers create maps by hand, not using any sort of GUI-assisted editors, I am afraid the chances of some meaningful development from this point on are quite slim. But never say never!
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Thus why I am asking, I know there have been things here and there. I have a few tools that have been made over the years.
This is more so aimed at blast and allejo, as they would know if there is anything or may be something in the works down the road?
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

In our grand 20-year plan, yes having an official map editor is there. It could be somehow incorporated into the game client or use some type of game engine that already exists. Basically, in the future, we'd like to avoid having to reinvent the wheel and create things just for ourselves. Ideally, we'd move away from our existing map format and use something more standardized.

There are things on our roadmap that are a much higher priority and will help us determine the next step the project as a whole should take. So don't expect any development on an official map editor any time soon.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There was a BZWorkbench project that was going to be the official map editor, but that hasn't been touched in many years and would still need some major work done to be finished.

As it stands right, a 3D modeling program of choice plus our modeltool can you most of a map created, with some final touches in a text editor (teleporters, links, bases, perhaps some extra attributes on objects).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Reina
Private
Private

Post by Reina »

Can we access the BZWorkbench as it is right now? I'm interested to see this map editor.
These are the best probiotics for gut health for sure.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Within the Map Editors forum, there is a link to a few Windows builds of BZWorkbench.
Otherwise you will likely need to compile it for your specific platform.
(Unless someone provides a compiled version for the required platform.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)