New Map idea

General talk about the map making process.
Tanksolot
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Map idea

Post by Tanksolot »

Everyone spawns at own castle. Everyone is rogue. Map/castles expands as player list grows. Game is called "King of the Hill". Idea is to move up
in levels(not games but elevations)) until you capture the "win" flag. Need some teleports. The way you move up is based on teleports and elevators.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New Map idea

Post by Zehra »

Tanksolot wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:27 am Everyone spawns at own castle. Everyone is rogue. Map/castles expands as player list grows. Game is called "King of the Hill". Idea is to move up
in levels(not games but elevations)) until you capture the "win" flag. Need some teleports. The way you move up is based on teleports and elevators.
I like the idea and overall concept, but there is some limitations currently within the system you should be aware of.
(So not everything is possible, but the effects can be simulated to some extent.)
We do not have any 'dynamic' objects, so we cannot expand/remove/delete map objects, but there still is a way to implement this somewhat.
Instead, areas could be denied/sealed-off to players, until certain conditions are met.(Player count, time spent in [position]..etc)
(ServerShots/WorldWeapons could be used for this effect, or messages which state that an area has been closed off for the time being.)

The part of using teleporters can provide some complicated concepts or possibilities.
Depending on how this part is played, some really interesting aspects could be made, such as hallways filled with teleporters.
Maybe simply teleporters at different areas, so one must explore the castle to find the right one?
I can also imagine a map reset, so a new map would be loaded each time, useful for making the maps always interesting and new.

If I have the time, I may end up trying to do something with this.

Additionally, it is somewhat similar to some ideas I had a while back, which would have been called 'Towers of Babel' and 'Race to Mt. [name]'.
The map would either contain five towers or a single large mountain landscape.
The goal would have been to reach the top, somewhat similar to the 'Jumping Skillz' maps, except for some minor changes.

In 'Towers of Babel', player start off at the bottom of one of the five towers, based on team.
Various flags are around the towers and the towers start to decrease in size, as one tries to go to the top.
The flags are positioned, so that it is not easy, nor difficult to get them, and they may provide an advantage, but take more time to reach the top.
Some flags must be 'collected' before reaching the top, so not that players end up simply bypassing them.
Each of them would 'improve' the tower, and since we do not have dynamic objects at the moment which can be controlled, there would be a 'risk' factor for not collecting them.

The more collected, the less of the risk, but the slower the time, the less collected, the more of the risk, but the faster the time.
The risks on the tower would be world weapons or to be more accurate, server shots would be fired at players who do not collect flags.
This would be to simulate the risks of taking shortcuts when building the towers and the more risks taken, the more shots that are fired.

I did think of possibly adding a lives factor, so thus if one dies too many times on the race to the top of the tower, it would have been assumed that their tower had 'fallen'. Additionally, there also could be point awards for players who didn't lose much lives or any at all.

The spawn times and the map design would have been needed to be carefully made and tinkered with for it to work.
This would have been the general concept with 'Towers of Babel'.

'Race to Mt. [name]' takes a different turn, and the entire map is virtually a mountain.
Maps and names would change, so names like Everest, Olympus, Fuji, St. Helens... would be seen.
The designs would try to closely match the mountains as well.
The mountains would be somewhat risky and possibly even have some variables adjusted as the course goes along.

Flags picked along the way would offer powerups and possibility limited abilities for a short time period.
Certain ones would allow one to try to prevent other players from reaching the top or to try to make it more difficult for them.

Reaching the top would be very difficult, and for the ones who do try to get there, there is always the risk of various mountain dangers.
Rockfalls, icy conditions and various other conditions would be simulated as well.
Even some powerups would be provided to make it interesting.

The other difficulties which could be added, would be a timelimit for all players, so they must be able to make it to the top, before the clock runs out.

There also could be areas within the map which allow one to gain an advantage, if they make it there, so probably the mountain would be randomly generated each time, to prevent players from being able to know the advantages and risks ahead of time.

Requests for guidance could be added with '/guidance' which would require a player to stop for a set time period, before providing some map hints, based on their position on the map.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread