BZFlag making

General talk about the map making process.
Canon Bruise
Private
Private

BZFlag making

Post by Canon Bruise »

Good Evening All,

I Need to know how to get started with making maps. I feel really overwhelmed. I know a lot of computer languages, but people tell me this then that, so I have gotten really confused. :?: :D :D :D :book: :book: :book:
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag making

Post by Zehra »

There is around three or so different methods for mapping, the most common are text editing, GUI mapping and scripting/programming.

Text editing is simple and is based on knowledge of the '.bzw' syntax.
Not much to it and it is rather simple, but the syntax itself may be 'confusing' as it is not 'intuitive'.
Most people who do text editing will use something like Notepad or Notepad++. (I personally use Notepad++.)

GUI mapping is mostly either 3D modelling or using purpose built editors.
Blender and Wings3D are the most common for modelling and BZEdit32 and BZWorkbench seem to be the most commonly used purpose built editors.
(If you are good with 3D modelling, it should not be too difficult to make maps.)

Scripted/programmed mapping.
Quite a few people have written scripts to generate maps, most commonly used languages are Ruby, Python, Bash and Visual Basic.
A few maps art use a hybrid system of where maps are partially generated and tend to be somewhat simpler to some degree.
(Depending on your programming skills and how well the maps come out, this may be a good option.)

Hopefully this clears things up quite a bit.

-Zehra

p.s. More details can be provided on the specific methods if wanted/needed.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread