Dropdown: Generated HTF Map

General talk about the map making process.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dropdown: Generated HTF Map

Post by tainn »

I made a Python script that randomly generates a simple HTF (hold-the-flag) map, making each playthrough different.

The attachment (.zip) includes the Python script (.py) for map generation and the configuration file (.conf). A required package for the script to work is bzwrap.

Map
The map is pretty straightforward. Red team spawns on their base in the sky and tries to make their way to the ground to capture their own flag on the blue base. In order to do so, they must find one meshbox on each level that is drivethrough. Finding it drops them one level lower. To make the meshbox differentiation easier, the colors of the blocks are randomly selected on the gray scale from 0.1 to 0.4 (making the floor color patterns different with each generation, too!).

Generate
The script allows the passing of an optional argument―which has to be an integer―that specifies the desired amount of floor levels to be generated. If not passed, the value defaults to 5.

As such, to generate a map with 7 floor levels, the command can be issued as:

Code: Select all

./dropdown.py 7
This results in a dropdown.bzw world file to be generated in the same directory.

Config
I added some fancy additions to the configuration file, some of which is adding the tone of darkness and fire spirits rising in the night (actually anti-gravity yellow-orange rain). Just to make the entire thing a bit more spectacular, but you can remove it if performance is an issue.

License: CC BY-SA 4.0
Attachments
dropdown.jpg
(702.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
dropdown.zip
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Dropdown: Generated HTF Map

Post by kierra »

Really interesting concept, tainn!!!
Looking forward to trying it out!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Thank you, kierra!
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It would be interesting to see both map and concept combined.
If shooting is disabled, simply spawn both teams with respective team flags and it becomes a race to the bottom.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread