New map feature thoughts

General talk about the map making process.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

New map feature thoughts

Post by The Purple Panzer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:45 am

I'm starting to go through some of the maps I've created, fixing annoyances and generally updating them. In doing so I've been thinking about some of the possibilities in 2.0, and I'd love to hear what other people are thinking.

I haven't yet had the time to master all of the new map elements, and it
may be a while until I can really get to it - the bzfs documentation was helpful to a point, but in my struggles I found lots of undocumented dependencies, and I just ran out of time. I had hoped to learn enough to write a guide, but things just got too busy.

This message isn't intended at all as a criticism of the new features, rather as a set of questions, both to implementers and those who've written new maps using them (some quite impressive). I haven't yet developed any intuition about how all the new map features affect play.

The graphics are great, with colors, transparency, etc., and the physics of blocks is interesting; but if I'd had to pick new features to add, these might not have been my first choices. Certainly maps are more visually interesting, but what I'd like to understand is what new wrinkles in play are possible with the new features.

The new flags certainly have changed things - for example, Wings will I think make maps a lot more interesting in the vertical dimension. But I just can't think of what the new map features will do. What sorts of new tactical situations can the map designer set up?

Can the physics be used to create interesting barriers - for example, can a wall refract a shot coming through, changing it's direction? Can the physics of map objects interact with shots (bullets, shockwave, laser, GM, etc.), or do the physics only apply to tanks?

I can certainly see that it will be possible to make more aesthetically interesting maps, but I suppose this confuses me a little - in the past, one explicit design goal that I thought most designers strove for was to keep block count down to keep performance up. I've lost my intuitive sense for what is a "good map" - are all of the new colors, textures, etc. to be used freely, or will this cause maps to be unplayable? Perhaps this is an issue of server vs. client load, as well as the structure of the underlying graphics processing, but nothing is without limits, and I just have no idea how far one may reasonably go purely for aesthetic value. I've played on several maps that seem to have a lot of visual effects with minimal performance penalty, but I don't have any practical sense of what the tradeoffs are.

One of my first attempts with the new map objects was to create mirrored objects, so that you could do "pool table" like shooting with multiple reflections, sighting directly using the reflections off of surfaces. I don't think this is doable (and I'm not surprised - the rendering might be quite expensive). But I am looking for any tidbits of new map opportunities beyond the appearances, and I thought it might be worth starting a thread to discuss what these might be.

I've seen some objects that kill you if you touch them, and this is one thing that I think could be very useful - structures may now force players to drive quite carefully or die. I'd love to hear about others' ideas of what the new features offer in terms of encouraging new playing tactics.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:20 am

moved to map general discussions
ImageJeffM

sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:11 am

many agree with you PP....some of us a trying to get
thru all the mumbo jumbo we've made a few inches of progress
but still got a aways to go...

doing my uttermost best to make jeffm2501 pop a blood vessel or cry..which ever comes first..

BZrand Random map maker 6.4 , BZchecker map validator 1.5