I was thinking...

General talk about the map making process.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

I was thinking...

Post by SilverFox »

We've got some pretty cool mapping "features" in the 2.0 train.

Earlier I was playing on Overlord and every so often there'd be the guy with SteamRoller (SR) that'd just sit on the enemies base and wait for his team to cap, over and over.

SR can be a fun flag, especially on overlord, but that can get old quickly. So, I'm thinking of ways to "balance" this out, or even disallow it altogether (without taking the flag out of the game) when I get an idea.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have map objects that will behave differently depending on what flag the tank on the object is carrying. The simplest form of this would be objects that can cause a tank to blow up (world weapon). ie, say you have a body of water (or lava) that if a tank lands on it, it will blow up. If the tank has V, TH, or AG then they would not blow up.

or...

If you're on a base with SR you're blown to bits with a message, "Ranger Smith says this is a no camping zone Boo Boo!"

Just thought it interesting...
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

hmm.. so you're saying i.e. I have GM, therefore this pyramid I am on, which is a "death" object, will not affect me... or vice versa ?? :?
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

exactly. Say it won't affect you if you have GM. Maybe its a GM w/shot limit. If you're sitting on it, use up all your shots and drop your flag, you'll blow up!
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

I think that's a good idea. It would make for some interesting situations. It might actually end up promoting camping instead of discouraging it. Someone could sit in the lava with the proper flag and be relatively safe. Even if that were the case, I still think it would be fun. :D

Nice idea.
Save up to 50% on tank insurance!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Maybe not blow up, how bout just dropping your flag and....

[SERVER->] Your flag just dropped because there is no camping on this part of the map.

Or some message like that?
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

that's an interesting idea too ducati.
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Yes, I like it. Nice idea!
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

That'd be a hard thing to implement without people getting mad and swearing that they weren't camping. I mean, when I camp (yes, I camp) I move around alot. Partly because I don't want a tank with my counter flag to spring up and kill me and partly because I scare everyone away from a certian part of the map. A good map needs some camping spots but then some hidden secrets to KILL THE CAMPERS!

All in all, it could be implemented, but i don't think it'd be effective enough to reduce camping rates on a map.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Well, the purpose would be to discourage a certain KIND of camping, but the message could be different. Something like:
  • [SERVER->] The object you're on just ate your flag!
or
  • [SERVER->] The object you're on forced you to drop your flag!
Or whatever.
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

I agree Ducati's idea.. but
[SERVER->] Your flag just dropped because there is no camping on this part of the map.
"part".. you mean like a zone? what happens if someone picked up a flag in the "part" of the map? :?
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

oh wait, but gm/laser mabye people on a base are invincible until they get of base then even if they get back on that life there still vincible.
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

I think the zone object would work just fine. It would be harder to make EVERY object do that...besides, I dont think there's an easy way to detect if you're on something.

I dont think it shoudl be used to discurage camping, but I know at this one map, you could set on top of the base with steamroler and kill everybody when the spawn. That's where you'd drop SW and SR flags.
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Hmmm...should this be here, or enhancements? Anyway, ya I could have made a better server message. It would be easy if it was zone....like so:

unallowed flags SR

Or something like that, unallowed makes you drop when you land on it