Map making ethics

General talk about the map making process.
ClayOgre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Map making ethics

Post by ClayOgre »

Ummmm...silly question. With the ability to "save" a map you are playing on, is it considered rude to "borrow" somebody else's map objects/techniques for one's own map? Or is it a given that if you put up a map, you are essentially releasing your creation into the public domain?
Respectfully,
I Beg to Remain,
Cordially Yours,
Regards....

Post by Guest »

I think, so long as you don't claim another's work as you'r own, you are free to do pretty much whatever you like. :)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I think borrowing objects is ok, if you ask the map maker first. The maker could have put alot of time into creating an object, and he might want to get credit for it. Sometimes I'll save maps and look at how they were made, and then learn from that. I think that's acceptable to do.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Map making ethics

Post by Dervish »

ClayOgre wrote:Ummmm...silly question. With the ability to "save" a map you are playing on, is it considered rude to "borrow" somebody else's map objects/techniques for one's own map?
It is always helpful to use someone's map for reference in understanding specifics or if you want to leave the map whole, and may be alter its overall size, etc. I looked through a couple of LouMan's maps he posted to get an update on what's new in bzw (bz worlds).

But I would consider it rude to use a group of objects from their map and incorporate it into your own. For example, taking LouMan's lighthouse for your own map, then releasing that map under your name would be wrong. You'd probably get flamed a bit from the community for it. ;)

However...

Since BZFlag is shared according to a GNU license, a map without any other license or copyright information is quite vulnerable. Since this is a very tight community as far as gaming goes, people have been respecting other people's creative map designs so far (at least to my understanding).

To throw in my 2 cents, I wouldn't use any part of someone else's map without first getting the map author's permission. I'm sure most people wouldn't mind if you asked (give credit where credit is due).
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
LouMan
Chief Sgt. of Cartography
Chief Sgt. of Cartography

Post by LouMan »

I have posted many of the objects I created (including the lighthouse) under the "Prefabs and Map Objects" forum on this board, and many others can be found there as well. I personally have no problem with anyone using my objects for their maps, so long as credit is given to me for their creation if anyone asks.

All of my maps are also posted under the "Map Releases" forum and are easier to use when downloaded from there (they are commented and easier to read). I have no problem with someone using these maps for their servers, so long as credit is given to me in the public description of the server, etc. It would be polite to notify me when the maps are going to be used :wink: , but even this is not absolutely necessary. The only problem I might have is if someone completely bastardized one of my maps and labeled it as a "LouMan" map - I have never had problems with gameplay mods, but I probably would get a little upset with major geometry changes to my maps (if it ain't good enough, make yer own :wink: )

I have always viewed BZFLag as an open game, with no absolute rights to any of the code or maps. So far, all of the people I have interacted with have been very nice and very polite - it's one of the reasons I am so obsessed with the game; the BZFlag community, as a whole, is incredible. :)
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

IANAL, but as far as I know, the license of bzflag itself has absolutely nothing to do with the license for someone's maps. I can see nothing wrong with editting a map locally for experimentation and learning (it'd be pretty difficult to prevent that, after all), but if you were to totally rip off another map maker and release it without his or her approval, you'd be committing intellectual theft.
("You" meaning "one", of course)
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Workaphobia wrote:IANAL, but as far as I know, the license of bzflag itself has absolutely nothing to do with the license for someone's maps.
You are correct. However, if BZFlag were some commercially licensed game that we had to pay for (heaven forbid!), making maps for it might adhere to some weird law-lingo loophole that would make them all the property of the software company selling it. Be thankful BZFlag is an open community, with open source, and an open license such as GNU. :)
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

you'd be committing intellectual theft.
Only unless he didn't copyrighted it then you could get away with it.
Now, if he copyrighted it and then registered his copyright then he could easly sue you.
(it would be hard if he didn't register but still possible)
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Well to sue, you need to register the copyright first. Registering it can be retroactive however; you can wait until after the infringement occurs.

But even if the map maker doesn't register it, it's still considered copyrighted by virtue of the fact that he made it. The only thing that allows other people to use it in any capacity (besides fair use) is the license, or written consent.

Once again, IANAL, so append a big "...I think" to all of this.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Just my two cents

Post by Gerbil »

I always considered that anyone could use my maps however they liked.

I wouldn't like it if I had a custom map on my own server and someone set up the exact same thing to steal players away to theirs but other than that here's why I don't mind.

1) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...I like flattery ;)

2) Any time you are in print it is good as long as they spell your name right. Most servers give the same name to the map as it's creator. That pretty much establishes who made it if they loaded it up to the forum or if it is already popular.

3) Some maps never get "aired" on a server until later someone finds it and runs it.

4) New worldmakers sometimes learn and get inspiration by beginning with your design and building on it--more power to them. Beuaty in diversity.

5) You can always incorporate features into your maps such as logos, signs or objects that poijt to the designer or source. it';s not to hard to do.

6) The game is free to all--I think the maps are the least you can give back.

7) Finally, what good is map if only a few people see it?

Oh yeah ...

8) Because I am a nice guy :)
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.