Which do you prefer?

General talk about the map making process.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Which do you prefer?

Post by Supertanker »

Which do u prefer for bzflag maps? Anim8or? Blender3d? Wings3d?

I like wings, then anim8or, then blender.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Hey, my prefrence list is the same too!
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

Is there any way to position objects by typing in the coordnates like in BZEdit?
imsome
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by imsome »

define the object,

then follow all that crap with enddef

then put

group [i]definedobject[/i]
scale 1 1 1 #or somethign else
spin 0 0 0 0 #or change the spin to match which way it faces
shift 0 0 0 #x y z coordinates, change these to where you want the end # thing to be

[/i]
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

I thought that stuff had to do with the texturing.

You haven't even tried wings3d yet, imsome.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

For someone who cut thier teeth in imagine so many years ago, progressed to lightwave then finally onto 3ds, I find wings restrictive. Blenders interface is less than intuitive, but if I can't do something it's usually 'cos I don't know how yet, not because it can't do it. Wings is suited to making single objects to be exported and played with in bzw files though. Just for comparison here is my first ever blender project, just done as a self tutorial to get used to the native textures and modeling tools, then as far as I got with wings, on the same project idea as a comparison, before I decided the program wasn't really up to the task.

Considering Blender is open source, and the prices of similar commercial software (maya, 3ds etc) I think it's a splendid program, the only thing that needs some work is the uvw mapping tools, but a nice plugin for that came out about 3 weeks ago, spiffy :D

As far as bzflag only work goes, made in blender, export to wings, then use that nice bzw exporter. I'm just too used to having a bigger toolbox to actually model in wings, and will only use it until I get psyco compiled.....

Post by Guest »

When i first started making maps, people said Download Blender...
Eh. Imagine how I felt. I can write HTML and CSS. I know nothing about modelling.. Veyr little about anything else in fact. So i looked at blender and thought "ummm... errr...". I found out about Wings and gave that a try... I found out straight away how to get the menus up and from there I can make shapes, etc...
I am sure Blender is far more powerful, but I don't have the concentration or ability to use half the features of Wings anyway. :D
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

but how do you type in the object coordinates in blender or wings3d? Like in bzedit?

Post by Guest »

Blender and Wings are 3D modellors. They are not for making maps. They just makie objects. Then you have to open the map file in *GASP* a text editor *OMG* and define the modellor as a group, and call the group with whatever position you want.
imsome
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by imsome »

which is what i already told him
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

Aw, text editors are not that bad.

Anyways, Blender3d is okay, its just not what I use to make maps. I use it for 3d modling (duh)
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

i mostly "borrow" models that i need for my maps and do the basics with bzedit and then hand code everything else, my house map was done this way, had a lot of hand coding and testing involved with it
MONKEYPANTS.COM