Dream-inspired flying map

General talk about the map making process.
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dream-inspired flying map

Post by capt_crunch »

Hi fellow bzflag lovers,

I'm sure aerial combat maps aren't new, but I had a dream about BZ tanks flying through treetops like birds. Some trees had CTF bases. The dream had a fantastic CTF game going on. It was cool!

The map was large; you had to fly from tree to tree to cross the map.

The main problem/feature I see to making an actual map like this is while carrying a team flag, you can't fly. So the flag carrier would need cover from flying teammates to get the flag across the map. Imagine gangs of birds fighting over a nut or something; the nut carrier is at a big disadvantage, yet he fights for it just the same.

Dropping a flag at a certain point could bring a team flag up into the closest tree, or escalators could allow the tank to climb a tree.

Anything like this been done before?
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

Nice idea, are you planning on making this?
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by capt_crunch »

I'm hoping someone else will become inspired.

I'd imagine it's not that hard for someone who knows what they're doing: create a single tree and create multiple copies; add bases to select trees.
Maybe a few teleports to allow team-flag carriers to get up in trees.

Anyone want to give it a go?
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'll try

Post by Red Cobra »

I'll give it a shot. Nice idea! Though where do you get the trees form the data file? Or just make it in wings3D? I have never used wings3D this will give me a chance to! Thanks for the idea i'll try to make it for you and send you it.
It will take me a while though.:(
You have to give your email first.

Red Cobra
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

trees in bzmaps

Post by capt_crunch »

Thanks for offering to try this! I've seen other bzmaps with trees, but I have no idea if it's possible to easily extract one from a map.

See LouMan's "Island Hopping" map for some pine trees. It's on the public server list.

My email is brian DOT bonnlander AT cox DOT net.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Im also willing if Red isnt capable.. Think of me as a backup... Lets see random sized trees, some vines, some old bridges, some bases, bushes, and flowers....

More then likly this could become a group project if anyone is willing to help...
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

Count me in too, that is for a group project.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Me too

Post by Red Cobra »

Count me in too! I dont really want the responsiblity on me so it'll be a group project.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

bushes and flowers: nice idea!

Post by capt_crunch »

Thanks to everyone for offering to help! Would anyone like to lead the effort or suggest a plan? If not, I'd be happy to post to this thread every 1-2 weeks to see what's happened.

Lets see random sized trees, some vines, some old bridges, some bases, bushes, and flowers....

:D

Fantastic ideas ! The variation in shapes could be very cool. And of course the potential for eye candy is also high.

Then again, there's also the completely different question of the map's playability. How about creating a version 0.1 with whatever is easy? I'm just as interested in how well the map would play with, say, 20 players over a plain group of trees as anything. Does fighting over a highly prized but cumbersome object lead to some interesting game playing?
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Clarification: I won't be making map

Post by capt_crunch »

Just to clarify: I never have, nor will I probably ever, be making a bzmap. But I'd be happy to be project manager. Hah, I never thought I'd say that.

I know map-making is probably not hard, but I have too many responsibilities already, including breadwinner.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'll make.........

Post by Red Cobra »

I'll make any object kind of stuff like flowers some bridges, and other stuff.
Another thing is Captain Crunch what is you email in email form? Like : example@comcast.net
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'll make.........

Post by Red Cobra »

I'll make any object kind of stuff like flowers some bridges, and other stuff.
Another thing is Captain Crunch what is you email in email form? Like : example@comcast.net
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Anyone know how to extract trees from a map?

Post by capt_crunch »

Red Cobra, Thanks. It sounds like you want to make new objects, or are you planning to insert one or multiple copies into a map?

Anyone know how to extract a tree from someone else's map? LouMan's "Island Hopping" map has pine trees we could use.
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

My email address

Post by capt_crunch »

Red Cobra, just substitute a real '.' for the word DOT, and '@' for the word AT. Stick it all together and you'll have my address. I don't post it in a form that would be convenient for a web spider to grab and add to a spam list.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

I already have a flower made (don't ask) I even have mushrooms ;)... Generally you would have to ask before using other mappers objects.. I could take a spin at a tree but I would go the easy way an ask louman for a copy of his.... Perferably BZW and OBJ formats ;)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

you could make a whole forest, like an amazon rainforest.
hmmm....

or mabe like an age of empires map...
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

ill take a shot at it with the group, im looking at loumans trees on mystic valley. are those the kind you want?

well this is a great idea, what exactely do you mean bases in the trees though?
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

trees and bases

Post by capt_crunch »

Wow yes, the trees in Mystic Valley are great. He also has pine trees in his Island Hopping map, but I like the leafy trees a lot.

Anyone know LouMan well enough to ask if we can use his trees? It might shorten the time to a first map if he would agree.

Actually, the Mystic Valley map is not far off from what I was dreaming about. Here are the differences: the trees were larger (equivilantly, tanks were smaller), everyone could fly (WG flags heavily scattered across map), and CTF bases were in "nests" located in trees at opposite ends of the map. Like Mystic valley, there were several "understories" a tank could use to cross the map: treetops, shrubs, ground, etc. In my dream, a player who did not plan their route carefully might run out of flaps and be forced to land lower than they wanted to.

Anyone skilled enough to create a bird's nest with a CTF base in the bottom?

Anyone willing to commit to creating the first map version?

Thanks again for so many people expressing interest in this idea.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

maybe we should throw in some hills of BIYA's hide 'n' seek map.

I reckon this should be a communal effort, and get as many mappers on the project all contributing some code, to make a kind of super map.....
Just make a bit, and put it in a group defenition, then the 'head mapper' can place it to best effect.

This has the potential to be totally awesome.

:shock: My mind is unravelling so soon

We need more mappers on the case!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

oh boy, this exciting, dont expect much from me though, im not a very experienced mapper. well louman posted his mystic valley map for ppl to download....so im assuming we can use the trees?
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Still need to ask and give him credit...
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Prob

Post by Red Cobra »

The only prob with use Louman's trees is that i dont know if he uploaded them as an image (I dont know if you can do this?) or made them. If he did an image file then we would have to make something in wings3D. I am willing to do anything you gyes want me to do. I think BIYA should be the organizer here. He has made multiple maps and is on all of the time. So BIYA assign stuff for us to do. For example: Red Cobra make trees, Inferno make bushes,eagle make the nests, BIYA make the bzedit map with the boxes like we discussed. I am not saying those are the assingments, I am just giving examples. We also need to make bridges.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Well first we need to move to the Works In Progress forum ;)
capt_crunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

LouMan says OK on trees, plus it shouldn't be hard!!

Post by capt_crunch »

Here's what Louman wrote in a message to me:
Anyone with a little knowledge of map making with bzflag should be able to extract my tree objects from the Mystic Valley map I posted in the Map Releases section. The pine trees are in the prefabs section.

I'm sorry I can't help more, but I'm swamped with personal obligations right now, and don't have a great deal of time for bzflag at the moment

So I'm guessing it's somehow obvious how to extract these things as objects and reuse them.

Exciting stuff.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I have bryce 3D here somewhere. that has a tree tool. i'll look into that