Gerbils Lair: a review

General talk about the map making process.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Gerbils Lair: a review

Post by Grumbler »

Gerbils lair was hosted last night on one of bzgirls servers(thanks bzgirl for changing the playing field around every now and again)

The map is extra-complex. I noted several features from several of the old Gerbil maps, plus one very large rat. Eh,um, I meant Gerbil. I would suggest playing this map with a very good graphics card, you will need it.

Although, I respect the work and effort that went into the map, it was a difficult field from me to play. It is one of the ultimate maps for ST because you can only see a few blocks ahead. Small maze structures in the corners make driving very difficult, and predicting jump landings very, very difficult. On the positive side, it is a very cool map. Tunnels(rodent holes), multiple layers, mouse traps, a rat, planes make exploring this map very fun.

If you are looking for more exploring then game play, this is the map for you.

I give this map a 3.9 out of 5 on the KOBA scale.
(and if it was a little easier to drive around, it would have been a straight up 5)

I will review Spiffs map on turkey next, as soon as he gives me a name.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd have to agree. Overall though.. I love Gerbil's new map. :D

Ohh.... the map on Turkey is Canyon 3.0. :)
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

LOL, probably if I made a map,no one would put it on.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hey

Post by Gerbil »

Hey,thanks--who knew it got played!?

I never get to test drive my maps since I cant seem to act as a server for them anymore So its hard to guess how they will always play out..

I am halfway through a map with very large open areas and a very tricky central fortress. I think I'd like it played without rogues (how did THAT happen?!).

It is OO resistant, PZ proof, Superbullet proof as well as impervious to everything else--including shockwave.

The fortress only takes up a 240meter square in center. The surrounding areas are unecncumbered at present.

It also has a twist that no one else has played yet as far as I know. I'll throw in the big rat just cause I think he's cute and he looks coolon top of the fort ;)

If you have a suggestion--let me know.

more later
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

gerb,
as I mentioned in a different thread, this map has 2 objects well outside the bounds of the world. One is a box, the other a teleporter (the teleporter may be intentional, I'm not sure)

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778