B_Symmetry

General talk about the map making process.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

B_Symmetry

Post by Grumbler »

Ok, this started out as a rework of the other map(The Fifth), but as I started to work little things out, it totally transformed.

I had fun creating this one. It has a lot of problems and too many camping positions for ST's and L's, but watching the laser richo off the various pyramids was fun. Not all the jumps are of logical distance, its a bit wide open on certain levels, and there is no theme. Well, the last bit is not actually true, there was a theme and then I decided to sit down and toss a ball for the dogs while drinking a beer, and then the map changed.

couple points I am not sure if all the other map makers know, but in the interest of knowledge:

1. if you delete a block in bzedit(1.6.1), you can delete as many as you want, then you have to quit and reload, else things become unresponsive.

2. if you create two links from the same side of the gate, the server will jetison you to some unknown location and then boot you for cheating.

3. bmp2bzw has issues with blocks created at angles. it creates 100's of little blocks, otherwise it works fine.

ok, the name of the map is B_symmetry and on the koba scale it is about a 3.14768.
Attachments
B_Symmetry.map
Not everything is symmetric
(26.41 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Pretty cool, Koba. It's definitely an improvement on the last map. :D Ever think of putting any buildings in your maps? ;)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

danke. actually, I am trying to avoid the normal building. Nothing against them, just trying to create a set of different maps. Since I do not have the talent/time to create these wigged out five story castles with a dragon at the front gate and a rat in the basement, I am going for a chaotic game arena.

What I do want to add is more hollow center blocks on the bottom level. I think I am getting closer to what I wanted out of map.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

FYI

Post by Gerbil »

Something useful is to create a few things that can be "recycled" into other worlds and just save those objects as seperate maps. As long as you are careful with teleporter links it's pretty useful.

I used to have a dirigible template, temple,aircraft, submarine, ships, etc. Now all I have left is a giant rat..sigh.