API documentation

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
TheFish
Private First Class
Private First Class

API documentation

Post by TheFish » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 am

What documentation is there on the BZflag API? I have always wanted to contribute to the code side of things but have always been intimidated by the source code. Also, does anyone know of any "good" documentation on modern OpenGL? I've seen my great tutorials and lots of pretty good documentation in the past, but hardly any of it is modern. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: API documentation

Post by The Noah » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

TheFish wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 am
What documentation is there on the BZflag API? I have always wanted to contribute to the code side of things but have always been intimidated by the source code. Also, does anyone know of any "good" documentation on modern OpenGL? I've seen my great tutorials and lots of pretty good documentation in the past, but hardly any of it is modern. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
The BZFlag API is for plugins, not the source code (afaik). As for good documentation on modern OpenGL, I've tried looking, but couldn't find much. Unless your trying to modify the 3D stuff, all the OpenGL code for 2D rendering is in there and is easy to figure out (it you know some basic coding). And you don't "need" OpenGL for adding new features, although you can use it.

The Noah
I host maps, just PM me if you want yours hosted.

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

There is some documentation for the BZFlag API.
(Link: www.bzflag.org/documentation/developer/.)
(Some of the documentation is still being created as far as I know.)

Some somewhat older information which might not be up to date is available from the BZFlagWiki: wiki.bzflag.org/Category:BZFS_API_Docs.

The BZFlag API is currently server-side, so no client side plug-ins exist.
I think you are thinking of the Lua client side plug-ins was made for 3.0 and could alter the interface and many things, but was never released.
See this thread for info on what Lua could do: lua script notes

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. :)

-Zehra
There's this game I love and it's called Ducati. ~Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
There's always something to remember and it's been a game I love. ~Zehra
The time spent is a time which can never be regained, so it's a time to enjoy. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
The details and the skill of knowing and applying them is what excellence is made of. ~Zehra
The best player is the one who knows what to do and when and applies it successfully. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra
My blog is available at zehrahblog.wordpress.com.
See where I've last been active at Strayers.

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 am

Here’s my favorite tutorial for modern (shader pipeline) OpenGL: http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro- ... tents.html

TheFish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheFish » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 am

Thanks for the info guys! I'll check it out some more.
macsforme wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 am
Here’s my favorite tutorial for modern (shader pipeline) OpenGL: http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro- ... tents.html
Thanks but that looks like its from 8 years ago. Is it still relevant?

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Bzflag still uses OpenGL 1.2 so that info is light years ahead of what bazflag does. It’s good info for modern OpenGL use.