bzflag on the Nokia N800 / N900

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
a blue tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag on the Nokia N800 / N900

Post by a blue tank »

I offer a kilogram of Swiss chocolate to anyone who gets bzflag running (to a usable level) on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet! (OS2008)

UPDATED 22-Oct-2009:

I'll reissue the same offer for bzflag on the Nokia N900 (http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/) which comes with OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics acceleration (so no excuses anymore.)

Steering via the N900's accelerometer earns extra credit.
Last edited by a blue tank on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Would it have to have textures? ;)

The Nokia N800 does not have any 3D acceleration enabled. The 3D graphics chip exists afaik, but there are no drivers available that work with the kernel version they use. (I've been in the #maemo channel and overhead some of the discussions..but I may be wrong on that) The specs are also closed on the chip itself. So hardware acceleration is pretty much not gonna happen in the near future.

I had tried to compile MesaLib for my N800, and the compiler crashed at some point during the build processes. I was, however, able to compile TinyGL for the N800, and run the demo applications on the actual device. It wasn't fast, but it worked. TinyGL does not implement all of the functions (or specific parts of functions) that BZFlag uses. So it's not gonna be a drop-in replacement. And even if it did work, I doubt it will run all that well, even if we do pixel doubling.

So far, I had bzadmin and bzfs running on the device. The bzfs doesn't run very well, likely due to agressive power management. I didn't try to mess with the wireless power management settings. The jitter was quite high. But bzadmin worked well.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

a blue tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a blue tank »

blast wrote:Would it have to have textures? ;)
The smiley makes me wonder if that is a serious question. However, to be sure, no, my offer does not depend on the support of textures.

Would that make a difference to the infomation in the rest of your message, which, to be honest, mostly went "whoosh" over my head? :-)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

a blue tank wrote:Would that make a difference to the infomation in the rest of your message, which, to be honest, mostly went "whoosh" over my head? :-)
He basically said it might be possible, but it would take a lot of work and research to build a client, and even then it probably wouldn't run very nicely.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Cruel dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cruel dog »

I know it's a bit out context, but since we talk bout running on things, would it be possible haiving a bzadmin like client on a WEB based thing? (no java, only php, html and cgi), so i could run bzadmin on a nintendo DS?
Owner@ BZAddict.net
Admin @ bunch of servers
And much more!
"Even if I am named Cruel dog, I still am friendly! I just become Cruel with troublemakers! xD"
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Cruel dog wrote:I know it's a bit out context, but since we talk bout running on things, would it be possible haiving a bzadmin like client on a WEB based thing? (no java, only php, html and cgi), so i could run bzadmin on a nintendo DS?
IIRC, Someone got BZAdmin to run on a cell phone. i cant remember who at the moment.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

http://bzflag.org/screenshots/

That has a screenshot of BZAdmin on a phone. I'm not sure if it was really running on the phone, or if that was just him SSH'ing to a Linux box through the phone.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

have you seen this ???

Little laggy to play but it works!!! =)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlvLYb9wQo
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

It's a fake.
Janis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Janis »

Saturos wrote:It's a fake.
Why do you think so?
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

TuttyFrutty wrote:
Saturos wrote:It's a fake.
Why do you think so?
Because he made it.
Join MI6!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Pretty convincing, huh? :D
zaa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zaa »

One day I asked Saturos where I could find the BZFlag program so I could try it on my Black DS.

He told me that it was a fake video that he made, and he played it on his DS.

I gotta hand it to ya Sat, that was pretty gosh darn convincing ;)

___

~Zaa
Cruel dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cruel dog »

would BZ work on a HTC touch?
Owner@ BZAddict.net
Admin @ bunch of servers
And much more!
"Even if I am named Cruel dog, I still am friendly! I just become Cruel with troublemakers! xD"
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Cruel dog
If you could find the SDK for it, I don't think it has OpenGL, and it has a touchscreen - meaning no buttons, so playing bzflag would be quite hard.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Cruel dog wrote:I know it's a bit out context, but since we talk bout running on things, would it be possible haiving a bzadmin like client on a WEB based thing? (no java, only php, html and cgi), so i could run bzadmin on a nintendo DS?
It would be possible with Ajax, but I'm not sure if DS supports AJAX. (I know the Wii does)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BinarySpike wrote:
It would be possible with Ajax, but I'm not sure if DS supports AJAX. (I know the Wii does)
It's possible with ways other than AJAX. For instance, look at the CGI:IRC. That works without AJAX.

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

how about ipod touch? tilt to move and tap to shoot good or bad you could make a app and sell it on the app store
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

sniper15 wrote:how about ipod touch? tilt to move and tap to shoot good or bad you could make a app and sell it on the app store
Code it up. ;)

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

As for bzadmin on the ds: http://dev-scene.com/NDS/DSVNC you might be able to get it to work with that. You have to have a flashcart of course. i'll see if i can get it and i'll post a video or something. And the new "Web based server admin" Will work on the DS.
Cruel dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yay! I got to use BZAdmin on my IPhone 3G!

Post by Cruel dog »

Yup, like in the title, I've got to use BZAdmin on my IPhone 3G!.. It was with SSH, but Still! I could chat, & manage players on the go! :) It can be on Portrait, or landscape mode, just by turning your phone. I've posted a few screenies down here.. Hehe.. It's really useful when you need to be on to chat or administer, and you're away from home :) *Please don't use while driving! :P*
Attachments
IMG_0309.PNG
IMG_0309.PNG (98.01 KiB) Viewed 12981 times
IMG_0314.PNG
IMG_0314.PNG (63.22 KiB) Viewed 12980 times
IMG_0316.PNG
IMG_0316.PNG (106.9 KiB) Viewed 12995 times
Owner@ BZAddict.net
Admin @ bunch of servers
And much more!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Are you able to send an "F2" keystroke to bring up the menu for stuff like the player list?

Cruel dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cruel dog »

Hmm I couldn'T find how.. There has to be a way, but I dont know, I'm not fully familiar with that terminal app yet ;)
Owner@ BZAddict.net
Admin @ bunch of servers
And much more!
R3laX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by R3laX »

BZAdmin on PlayStation Portable

OG
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

No way.

I check this site on my psp...how did u do tht (im 13 and dont know much about PC. but fairly enough)