API documentation

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

API documentation

Post by SpringTank »

What documentation is there on the BZflag API? I have always wanted to contribute to the code side of things but have always been intimidated by the source code. Also, does anyone know of any "good" documentation on modern OpenGL? I've seen my great tutorials and lots of pretty good documentation in the past, but hardly any of it is modern. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: API documentation

Post by The Noah »

TheFish wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 am What documentation is there on the BZflag API? I have always wanted to contribute to the code side of things but have always been intimidated by the source code. Also, does anyone know of any "good" documentation on modern OpenGL? I've seen my great tutorials and lots of pretty good documentation in the past, but hardly any of it is modern. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
The BZFlag API is for plugins, not the source code (afaik). As for good documentation on modern OpenGL, I've tried looking, but couldn't find much. Unless your trying to modify the 3D stuff, all the OpenGL code for 2D rendering is in there and is easy to figure out (it you know some basic coding). And you don't "need" OpenGL for adding new features, although you can use it.

The Noah
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

There is some documentation for the BZFlag API.
(Link: www.bzflag.org/documentation/developer/.)
(Some of the documentation is still being created as far as I know.)

Some somewhat older information which might not be up to date is available from the BZFlagWiki: wiki.bzflag.org/Category:BZFS_API_Docs.

The BZFlag API is currently server-side, so no client side plug-ins exist.
I think you are thinking of the Lua client side plug-ins was made for 3.0 and could alter the interface and many things, but was never released.
See this thread for info on what Lua could do: lua script notes

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. :)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Here’s my favorite tutorial for modern (shader pipeline) OpenGL: http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro- ... tents.html
SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SpringTank »

Thanks for the info guys! I'll check it out some more.
macsforme wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 am Here’s my favorite tutorial for modern (shader pipeline) OpenGL: http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro- ... tents.html
Thanks but that looks like its from 8 years ago. Is it still relevant?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Bzflag still uses OpenGL 1.2 so that info is light years ahead of what bazflag does. It’s good info for modern OpenGL use.
ImageJeffM